Too Much Water Coming Into Sump Well - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

too much water coming into sump well

I own a 11 year-old home. Everytime it rains a significant amount, my sump well fills with water and my sump pump works (at the moment) every 10 seconds. It will keep working at this rate for a least another two weeks. I placed a jet sump in the well as well as my sump pump if the power goes off. Why am I getting so much water coming into my house when my neighbours do not? Should I be considering digging a trench around the basement to divert the water away from the foundation?

Advertisement

kraatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

there is alot to research on this, try to see if they built in a wetland area. My brother in law has crack repair business, he always comments to me the number of new, expensive houses that have sump pumps constantly running. You can start by looking out side to see what kind of water you have after a storm, if your pit is below your basement floor, you are most likely getting ground water, which you can't really stop.

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,048

The purpose of a trench around the basement (aka French drain aka weeping tile system) is to collect water and bring it to a sump pump pit or dry well before it can seep up through the basement floor. Not to take water from the pit and let it soak into the ground elsewhere. With the water volume you are talking about, even a dry well may need the help of a sump pump inside. Better is having the trench system have a gravity flow pipe outlet that reaches the surface although this of course only works with certain terrain slopings.

When the pump is working hard, go outside and check for extra soggy spots where perhaps a gutter downspout is discharging water too close to the foundation. That needs fixing. Some lawn areas may need regrading (preceded by Rototilling and followed by reseeding) so as not to let a thin but continuous film of rain water flow towards your house and so as not to allow ponds to form. Also your sump pump should not discharge outside where the water flows back towards your house.

I trust that your pump is fulfilling its one and only purpose, getting rid of the water faster than the water is coming in.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-15-2009 at 11:11 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Allan, good point about the discharge hose, I had kicked mine out of the way of the lawnmower one time, forgot, next good storm, the hose was emptying right into where I was trying to empty from.