DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Too much resin in my water softner resin tank? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/too-much-resin-my-water-softner-resin-tank-110184/)

Asathd 07-09-2011 09:19 PM

Too much resin in my water softner resin tank?
 
Hey gang,

I just replaced my resin and distributor tube screen. I was losing a very small amount of resin into my house and although the resin still felt good (didn't crush) I figured let's replace it anyway. I also thought there may be a crack in the lower screen so why not replace that as well. It was a little messy but no big deal.

I have a 48" long x 9" diameter tank. The full cylinder volume is about 1.75 cuft. I put in about 1.5 cuft. The guys at the plumbing supply store said I should fill it up to about the shoulder. I've read that I should leave between 15-20 in. I left about 10" of free board but I'm concerned it's too full.

Is it too full?

If so, what problems will it cause? How important is it that I pour some resin out? I've been looking on the net for a little bit but can't seem to find any info on this.

Akpsdvan 07-09-2011 11:16 PM

What is the backwash rate? how many gallons per minute?
What kind of distributor are you using? standard or turbulator?
Is there an upper basket on the valve?

If your old set up had 15" of space between the media and the threads of the tank, then yes you are to full, if there was about 10" before then you are on track with the old set up..

Alan 07-10-2011 11:28 AM

Question :

If you have a water softener, how is it that they are attributing the leak in your copper to hard water? :huh::eek::no:

Asathd 07-10-2011 01:40 PM

The softener was on bypass when he showed up...


I'll check the specs on the control. If it is too full, I suppose I need to make a mess again and remove some beads huh? What damage will be done if the system is a little too full?

Bob999 07-10-2011 02:13 PM

A 9 x48 tank is normally used for 1 cubic foot of resin with a downflow softener and upflow backwash. So unless you have a non-standard softener with a packed bed your resin tank is overfilled.

The overfill is likely to be flushed out during backwash without any damage--just dumping relatively expensive resin in the drain line.

The overfilled tank has a higher than necessary column of resin and this will result in a higher pressure drop than normal.

Asathd 07-10-2011 02:54 PM

So it sounds like it may fix itself? Will it still dump down the drain if I have a top screen? Will it clog up the drain?

Bob999 07-10-2011 03:07 PM

If you have a top screen that may limit or prevent dumping to drain during backwash but then the backwash may be limited and ineffective with problems down the road because of inadequate backwash.

Resin, by itself, is unlikely to block your drain.

Your best course of action, in my view, is to remove the excess resin.

Akpsdvan 07-10-2011 05:54 PM

What is the type of control that is on top of the resin tank?

Asathd 07-10-2011 11:56 PM

5600 Econominder

Akpsdvan 07-11-2011 11:38 AM

If you do not have the upper basket for the 5600 and are closer than the 15" from resin to top of the tank, then yes go and remove resin to get to that 15".
One way would be to siphon out the water and then take a shop vac and remove the resin down to 15".

Asathd 07-11-2011 10:17 PM

I have the upper basket but I may be closer than 15" from the top of the tank. I'm gonna check this weekend. In the past I've used a garden hose as a siphon. I shoved one end into the resin tank and the other into a wrapped up towel. The towel acted as a reasonable 'filter' letting the water pass through but holding most of the beads. Can I save and reuse these beads later or are they basically trash now? I still have half a cu ft that I didn't use (I purchased two bags and used one and a half).

Akpsdvan 07-11-2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asathd (Post 684399)
I have the upper basket but I may be closer than 15" from the top of the tank. I'm gonna check this weekend. In the past I've used a garden hose as a siphon. I shoved one end into the resin tank and the other into a wrapped up towel. The towel acted as a reasonable 'filter' letting the water pass through but holding most of the beads. Can I save and reuse these beads later or are they basically trash now? I still have half a cu ft that I didn't use (I purchased two bags and used one and a half).

If you have the upper basket in place, then why the question on a few inches higher than the 15"?
The upper basket will stop the extra resin from getting in the valve and down the drain.
Not sure the need for the towel if you are siphoning into a bucket....

Bob999 07-12-2011 09:49 AM

The excess resin you remove from the tank can be saved and used at a later time if you store it in a moist state in a tightly sealed container. If the resin is allowed to dry out it will be damaged.

Asathd 07-14-2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akpsdvan (Post 684425)
If you have the upper basket in place, then why the question on a few inches higher than the 15"?
The upper basket will stop the extra resin from getting in the valve and down the drain.
Not sure the need for the towel if you are siphoning into a bucket....

I wasn't sure if getting resin into my drain was the only problem with having too much resin. If this would be the only possible problem and the upper basket/screen takes care of this, then maybe I don't have to remove the excess resin. What do you think?

I used the towel to try and drain some of the excess water. You're right, once I get to the resin it can go right into a bucket. After the resin tank is almost empty I use a hose to rinse the remaining resin into a towel wrapped around the resin tank.

Asathd 07-14-2011 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob999 (Post 684655)
The excess resin you remove from the tank can be saved and used at a later time if you store it in a moist state in a tightly sealed container. If the resin is allowed to dry out it will be damaged.

I wonder if I could sell it to someone at a discounted price? I actually have half of an unused bag.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved