Too Much Pressure In System - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Too much pressure in system

Hey guys having a little problem and could use so help. Several months ago noticed that I had "water hammer " . Well I went and check the 2 arresters that are located on washing machine lines ( they are just hollow tubes no diaphragm) they werent flooded . I then drained the whole system in the house ( didnt drain hot water heater). Hammer stopped for a little while but started again ; I also noticed water on the floor around hot water heater ( heater is only 4 years old) . After several days I noticed that the pressure release valve was opening and releasing water. I then replaced the pressure valve ; within few days began leaking again and Hammer has come back louder. I have drained the system several times , replaced internal components of all toilets; added another arrestor on the main line coming into the house and still have water hammer and leaking pressure valve . Anyone Have any advice greatly appreciate it?

Thanks
K

Advertisement

specialk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,296

Ayuh,...

Well water, or City water,..??

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #3

city water ; townhouse and neighbors haven"t had any problems
Old 01-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

You need to put a guage on a hose bib and find out what the water pressure is. Maybe it is to high, but probley not. Does each townhouse have a water pressure regulator right next to a main shut of for each place? If it does maybe thats bad. Just get a water pressure guage like this one and test.
http://www.professionalequipment.com...essure-gauges/

Just a water pressure guage with a garden hose hookup. Try that and see what you get. Code around here requires you to have a water pressure regulator if you PSI is over 80. 45-60psi is a good range normally. I dont have a pressure reg. on my house and my pressure is 85. But Im am going to put one when I redo the plumming. I dont have the problems you have tho.
integlikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #5

No pressure regulator on the system; Ill have to check the pressure. I've been here almost 5 years and this problem just started about 5 months ago; kinda strange.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Pressure relief valve leaking? Water hammer? Neighbors not having this problem? Sounds to me like you need to get a plumber to check it out. I would be concerned the stats are not working properly and building up heat and pressure.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,022

You likely need an expansion tank to reduce the pressure in your water system. If you've high pressure and a pressure regulator valve and/or a vacuum breaker in your system there is no where for the water pressure to be relieved except through your hot water heater relief valve (unless it is releasing due to over heating!). You need to measure the pressure in your system as discussed earlier.
See for an explanation:
http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/w...mexpansion.asp

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote