Too Many Choices . . . - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

too many choices . . .

Hi,
Our 7 year old Price Pfister kitchen faucet and sprayer are leaking again. Our plumber put on new O rings on the faucet but said it was made of pot metal and won't last much longer. The sprayer has a crack and will need to be replaced.

We're a bit grumpy because we think a faucet & sprayer should last longer than 7 years. How long should a kitchen faucet be expected to last?

The trouble with getting a replacement is that there's so many choices out there for faucets with a huge price range. We suspect that higher prices are often more about style than about the quality of the inner workings. I've looked at some kitchen faucet reviews but they tend to be more about features, style, & finish.

Are there price points where the quality of the metal/inner workings improves or does each leap in price equal a leap in material/mechanical quality? Any recommendations for a decent, reliable kitchen faucet?

I was laid-off a year ago and so we want to find a replacement faucet that won't cost a fortune.

Advertisement

ChrisJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

too many choices . . .

Look at warranties instead of style. Moen guarantees most of their faucets for life.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

too many choices . . .

You're right in that with higher priced faucets you're just paying for a style, a finish, or a fancy name. You'll want to stay kinda middle of the road. $150-$200. Delta or Moen would be my choices. Both are simple to repair and have a good reputation for quality. Both have lifetime warranties.

http://www.deltafaucet.com/customers.../warranty.html

http://www.moen.com/consumer-support/warranty

Price Pfister also has a "limited" lifetime warranty, but will depend on whether you are the original owner and/or if the problem consists of:

"The above warranties do not cover labor charges or damage resulting from improper maintenance, repair, cleaning or installation, misuse, abuse, alterations, accidents, or Acts of God.

http://www.pricepfister.com/support/warranty.aspx

So did you break it or God?
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

too many choices . . .

I have had very good luck with Moen over the years. Besides using them in my own house, we have used them in most of the new homes we built and remodel jobs. They seem to hold up well and replacement cartridges are readily available. I stay away from the off brands like PF, glacier bay, etc. They are normally a price leader type of faucet made for the big box stores.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

too many choices . . .

If you're tight on money just go to home depot, they have kitchen faucets ranging from 89$-1000$, depends on what you want to spend. Then install it your self, I would get a nice moen they make some good facuets, they should last you 25 years
Bigd3129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #6

too many choices . . .

and the price just doesn't reflect features, the pipeing that makes up your faucet can be made of soft copper which is cheap what you want is soild brass piping, but its your desicion just get a moen and youll be happry
Bigd3129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #7

too many choices . . .

Soft copper lasts a long time, nothing wrong with that.

I've been a service plumber for over 20 years and own the company. I have seen many changes over the course of time and we have become a throw away society. The cheaper faucets tend not to last.

Based on my service records the best bet for a middle of the road type faucet will be a Moen or Kohler. A majority of my replacements are to rip out Delta and put a Moen in it's place.

Mike
Mike's Plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

too many choices . . .

Another thing to keep in mind - even big names (delta/moen) make cheaper versions of their products to sell in big box stores. If quality is what you're after, you're better off getting a faucet from a plumbing supply house.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

too many choices . . .

Thanks for the advice on brands. I'll check out the plumbing store nearby.

I normally keep the receipts, info and warranty info for all our home improvement purchases but the receipt/warranty for the PF faucet is not in the kitchen file. I suspect I threw it away thinking that this faucet would be like our others (last dang near forever) and I'd never need it. If we still had the receipt/warranty I think we could make a good argument for a replacement since we certainly didn't abuse the faucet - unless using it to do normal kitchen activities (washing dishes, rinsing off fruits & veggies, filling the dog's water bowl, etc.) constitutes abuse.

Advertisement

ChrisJJ is offline   Reply With Quote