Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #1

Share |

toliet cleaner "septic safe"

Hi all, ouf new home has a septic tank. My wife wants to get one of those toilet cleaners for thagt sits in the tank. Of course they say "septic safe" on the label and advertising doesn't lie (yeah right) but is there a better brand to use that won't harm those good bacteria in the tank?

ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #2

Notice there is no official definition of exactly what "septic safe" means. If the cleaner contains bleach, or anything that kills bacteria, it is not good for a septic system. A septic system NEEDS bacteria, which does the "work," digesting the fecal and food matter into a liquid. The worst thing in the world for a septic system is for a laundry to drain into it - depositing a cup of bleach with each load of whites. And another bad thing is "antibacterial soap."

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Licensed Master Plumber

UGA,

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the septic tank. As long as you have it pumped every 3 or 4 years (about $200-$300) it should last for a good long time. Some municipalities are requiring this now, even if yours doesn't it's still the most important thing you can do to ensure system functions for the maximum timespan.

You should, however, be very careful what you put in your toilet tank. The chlorine based cleaners that you put in the toilet tank are very potentially very harmful to the "guts" of your tank. At the very least, they can ruin your flapper in a mater of months. At the worst, they can weaken the plastic parts and cause them to break. I have seen one case in which a rarely used toilet had one of the chlorine based tablets in the tank, causing the plastic fill valve to weaken until it cracked. Unfortunately, this happened while the homeowner was on vacation. They came home to a flooded house and thousands of dollars in damages.

There are also non chlorine types, usually blue, that have a different set of problems. Some of these get kind of "sludgy" and pieces can get flushed into the bowl, where they can block the water passages in the rim of the bowl, causing the toilet to not flush well. The good news is that this usually clears up after a while as the "blue sludge" is slowly dissolved.

If I don't sound like a fan of these types of products, I'm not. I have seen too many problems caused by these supposedly "safe" products. I know there are folks who will swear by these things but my experience says otherwise.

Ask your wife not to be too mad at me, my wife wanted to use them also.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

By the way, UGA, I didn't go to Ga Tech. I just didn't proofread my post.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #5

thanks all
Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #6

my new american standard toilet states that if we use any in tank cleaners, it will void the warrenty., okay, toilet didn't say that , but the paper work that came with it did.
DUDE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
my new american standard toilet states that if we use any in tank cleaners, it will void the warrenty., okay, toilet didn't say that , but the paper work that came with it did.
interesting...... I have A.S. toilets also
Old 05-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Licensed Master Plumber

UGA,

The toilet disaster I mentioned was an A.S toilet. They added that statement to their paperwork soon after that. I don't think the leak was their fault. I also have A.S toilets and the only problem I have is that they seem to stop up a lot. I just keep a good plunger handy.