Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #1

Share |

toilets struggling to flush in new home

Hi, so I just moved into a new home (2 story) and the kohler toilets struggle to flush with any toilet paper at all. They flush fine with just liquid, but we have to use a plunger otherwise almost every time.

We are on a septic system that was tested and cleared prior to moving in. I'm wondering if this may just be a poor design of the toilet, or if there is a way to increase the pressure. It's pretty awful having to tell guests to please make sure the toilet flushes and doesn't overflow.

On our second day in the house we had the toilet in the master overflow directly into the vent. Not what we were hoping for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jfras419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Tileguy

If it is a common ordinary garden variety toilet then there is no way to increase the pressure. They flush on gravity.

You might first check to see if the tanks fill properly and full each time. If they fall short this would have an effect on the volume of water available for each flush.

Sounds more to me like they're not sucking wind (no pun intended). Meaning maybe a bird's nest in the vent riser or maybe an in-line blockage. Or both.

Check the tanks first.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #3

So from my reading here it seems like venting is probAbly the culprit. Any way I can clean the vents without going on the roof? Not a huge fan of heights.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
So from my reading here it seems like venting is probAbly the culprit.
"Venting" COULD be the culprit!

Quote:
Any way I can clean the vents without going on the roof?
You know what? I just told my wife..."Now watch this guy is going to come up with something that will surprise you". I wasn't disappointed.

Call a plumber.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

What type of toilet is it?

We've been seeing these damn toilets from home depot now for a couple months. They are kohler toilets, and according to the salesmen they are the best flusher that they have in stock.

They're a 1.28 GPF tank, on a bowl that reads "1.6 gpf or less"

I have never seen a bowl that says that if it came from our wholesaler.

We've got 50 dollar toilets that flush better. Everyone hates them, and we even warn them in advance now.

On the venting note, i'm always torn about toilet vents. The way a toilet works, is supposed to be like an s-trap anyway, IE siphonic action. It makes me wonder if they really really even need one. I'm guessing no. If all 3 toilets are acting up, i'm betting against the vent anyway.

Could be any number of things from the toilet, to the plumbing below it. I'm with bud, however. See if you can adjust the water level in the tank first to get more water with each flush.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Long-Time DIYer

This is precisely why I still have my two original gusher toilets from when I built my house in 1977. One flush and its gone.
They'll have to pry my cold, dead hands off of the toilet handles of my old ones before I switch to the so-called (double and triple flush) 1.6 gallon "water-savers"
Our nitwit Federal goverment in action again.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Swearingen For This Useful Post:
secutanudu (08-05-2011)
Old 08-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #7

Is this a change or did they perform this way when you had a home inspection before your recent buy?
cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll
Is this a change or did they perform this way when you had a home inspection before your recent buy?
No there was no mention on the home inspection. They seem to operate normally when there is no solids or paper to flush.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
This is precisely why I still have my two original gusher toilets from when I built my house in 1977. One flush and its gone.
They'll have to pry my cold, dead hands off of the toilet handles of my old ones before I switch to the so-called (double and triple flush) 1.6 gallon "water-savers"
Our nitwit Federal goverment in action again.
Mike
Me too. I've got four mega flush toilets from 1940 that never clog. I wonder where my plunger is? I don't know, because I don't have to know. And since we're an if-it's-yellow house, we're not wasting any water compared to a persnickety low flow.

OP - If it is a truly new home, and you 'just' moved in, check and see if having a plumber come out is covered under some sort of new home warranty. My sister and her husband have a great home warranty - they never seem to have to pay for anything.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #10

Does it flush better if you manually flush using a bucket of water? This will test the quality of the drain plumbing and venting. Use at least as much water as the flush normally uses.

You might be able to adjust the normal flush to use a little more water (adjust the float) if that helps.