Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

toilet's got me baffled

i have a sloan flushmate i've never had problems with... until now.
new duckbill, new cartridge, still has the same problem flushing right.
5 gallon trick tells me it possibly has an obstruction up the first tube, (fills and is slow to drain down) but i can't see it or find it snaking. pulled the toilet, looked up the hole and it looked normal, some gunk, clean up top. my drainline under is clean. i went up on the roof and ran a hose down the vent pvc for a minute, and it seemed ok too.
but this darn thing won't flush right. one thread i searched on this had the poor guy replacing the toilet only to still have the problem.
any more ideas?

DM

Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
the Musigician

toilet's got me baffled

i dug out a telescoping mirror (one of those presents you get and figure you'll never use) and used a flashlight to see up the first tube from the bowl.... nothing up there obstructing. still punching away... anyone?

DM

Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

toilet's got me baffled

Maybe you can get some of that stimulus money and you will no longer be a "mouse in danger" 40 million in there to protect your brethren.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #4

toilet's got me baffled

Put a garden hose in the toilet, make a gasket by packing rags around the hose and give it the full 50 PSI for a minute or so (hot water might work better).
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
the Musigician

toilet's got me baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Put a garden hose in the toilet, make a gasket by packing rags around the hose and give it the full 50 PSI for a minute or so (hot water might work better).
what would that do?

DM
Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #6

toilet's got me baffled

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
what would that do?

DM
As an attempted fix, it's "free" in cost and labor, and it might blast some unknown blockage into larger pipes. I don't think there is any downside to this, though DWV pipes might only be tested to 20 PSI.

With a sink blockage I had to hold the rags in with a broomhandle and it actually started to lift me off the floor before the blockage gave way.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

toilet's got me baffled

I'd still go with the clogged sewer line. I've had problems with the linkage, cap on duck bill, and the cartriage, but if its not flushing, I'd look more into the main sewer line. As for the linkage, can't do a picture but follow if from the handle where it ends after passing over the cartriage, sometimes it falls out of the hole., rethinking, that would give you no flush, not bad flush.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
the Musigician

toilet's got me baffled

this is septic, 1000 gal. 1' drop to angle and direct out 60' out to septic. there IS a screwoff in the crawlspace... but all drains go there too, and they all seem ok, maybe a bit slower than usual? manoman, i'm sure hoping it's not a full tank....

DM
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #9

toilet's got me baffled

Mouse, that is what I was implying, my older house, had a flushmate, only time I had trouble with it was when I had trouble with my tank and field. If you have a cleanout close to where the pipe leaves the house, I'd take a look if it is backing up some, maybe not enough to overflow things but it would give you an idea anyway
Old 02-14-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
the Musigician

toilet's got me baffled

waiting until morning did not help, therefore, i'm thinking blockage, not full septic. (Thank God!) could it be the toilet still?
what if..... i pull the toilet, set it on a 5 gal. bucket, fill it and flush it? if it works as it should, that will tell me the next step then, yes? (that would be crawl space and open the pipe and inspect.) hoping it's not filled with Barbie heads and Hot Wheels......

DM
Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #11

toilet's got me baffled

Me, personally, rather then risk breaking the toilet falling off the pail, although is good idea, I'd go into the crawl space and look in the cleanout. I'd try to get as close to the outside wall to tank, this way, if it is the tank, I'd know right away its the tank if pipe has water. Doesn't mean anything I guess, but the two times I had trouble with the tank backing up, was in the middle of winter, fun times digging down to the cover.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #12
the Musigician

toilet's got me baffled

when i had the toilet off yesterday, i could see clean pipe down below. if it was backed up, wouldn't i see water/poop? i'm thinking it may be some blockage further down towards the septic? that would make pressure, but still allow slower flow of drain water/gunk to tank, yes?
how much is a 60' snake running nowadays? hmmmm

DM
Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #13

toilet's got me baffled

Taking off the clean-out plug takes all the guessing out. If you are as close to the exit of the pipe from the house as you can be, take out plug, have someone flush the toilet, if that water doesn't zip right by, most likely the tank, if the water is slow getting to the plug, then I'd check for clogged pipe. Of course in my case, at the time I knew my septic system was not up to par. Me, I'd rather unscrew the plug then unbolt the toilet.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #14
the Musigician

toilet's got me baffled

lifted the toilet up onto 2 blocks of wood, put towels around it and flushed. it worked just fine. cleaned up and reset it. now off to the crawl space to look for the washcloth my son just told me he accidentally flushed.......

DM
Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
the Musigician

toilet's got me baffled

crap.... this is what i'm facing down there... i thought i had a straight shot down the tube.....the angles make it likely it could be stuck higher than the cleanout. how about renting/buying a snake and going past the 2 90 angles though? any thoughts on what's next?

DM
Attached Thumbnails
toilet's got me baffled-cleanout.jpg