Toilets Bubble And Slow Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

toilets bubble and slow drain

hey all,

i need some advice about a problem i started having just this morning. i heard my toilet in our master bath start bubbling (i have heard this 2 or 3 times before over the last 6 months or so but nothing with any consistency or duration) and i flushed it. i noticed that it was draining slowly and decided to plunge it to see if maybe 1 of my kids used a little more TP than needed. after plunging, the toilet drains like you would expect. however, on reflush the same problem occurs. i checked our other bathroom only to discover the same problem minus the bubbling.

now let me add a little twist (i don't believe this has anything to do with the problem however but i guess it could). i had to replace the 45 degree elbows (2 of them) on the 4" drain line from the house to the septic tank this past weekend. All seemed to go well but i did notice upon testing the seals with all tubs and faucets on in the house where the green drain line enters the septic tank that water leaks out (no solids). i spoke with a local plumber and he assured me that this wouldn't be a problem.

any ideas what could be causing the bubbling and slow drain? thanks in advance.

Advertisement

shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

My mom had the same problem. I plunged and flushed over and over---figurig that had tp be the problem. Got the plumber back to look at it again. The problem ended up being inadequate venting. No problems since.

Advertisement

GrammaDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It does sound like a vent problem but inadequate venting doesnt just happen. Most likely your toilet vent has become clogged. Leaves can accumulate and small animals can build nests in them. Sometimes a high pressure water hose shot down into the vent from the roof will dislodge a clog or a plumbers auger(snake) will do the trick.
faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

i dont know how old your home is ..but i had this problem on a new house not long ago and end up the drain line going into the septic tank was touching the baffle in the tank. not allowing the paper and such to pass easily and had restricted the flow.....the customers would have this problem on the weekend but but no poroblem in the morning or after being gone from home all day......makes lots of since now....
hope this helps someone
ropers is offline   Reply With Quote