Toilet Won't Stop Running - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet won't stop running

I have a toilet that was running and my Dad suggested replacing the flapper. So, I got a new flapper and when I was taking the old one off the overflow valve broke. I was going to call the plumber, but decided to try to fix it myself. After making a big mess I was finally able to replace the overflow valve, reflow tube, water control assembly, and the flapper.

The problem is the toilet still sounds like it is running?!?! It's the same problem that started the entire mess. Would replacing the handle fix it? I'm unsure where to go from here.

Thanks for any advice!

Advertisement

alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #2

http://www.korky.com/FillValveRepairKit4010PK.html

That's what I got. If I press on the flapper I can get it to stop running, but a few minutes later it starts again.

It's making me crazy.

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Whatamess

Rewards Points: 250

Make sure you have the right flapper and leave some slack in the chain.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazinCR View Post
Make sure you have the right flapper and leave some slack in the chain.
It's the flapper that came with the set? I will try letting more slack, but I'm pretty sure I have enough. This was a problem when I moved in too, is there anything else that might cause it? Maytbe the flapper that came with the set sucks and the one that was on the toilet when I got the house was crappy, too?

If I press on the flapper with my hands it quits for a bit... so I'm pretty sure it's the flapper.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

take a brillo pad and run it around the opening where the flapper goes into at ther bottom of the tank.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
take a brillo pad and run it around the opening where the flapper goes into at ther bottom of the tank.
alright, I will pick up a brillo pad on the way home from work tomorrow.

Do you think maybe a higher quality flapper? The entire system in the tank is new.

This is frustrating. It took me all afternoon and I'm so damn close!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

i had a $80 water bill in the middle of the winter(big time gardener in the summer watering) last year and went right for the flapper...i shut the water off to the tank and sure enought it emptied out(minimal action in the bowl with the water open normally).went with a new flapper and it slowed the draining test,and seemed it had to work its way into the opening before the tank test held when it refilled and held its level.can use a old rag or sponge to see if your clear the seat on the bottom shut the water off under the tank after the last refill before you go out the door to work and when you get home it will give an idea of the rate of water being leaked..the weigh of the water in the tank is the force pushing on the flapper...1 gallon of water what???? is 8.2 lbs i think

Last edited by biggles; 08-24-2008 at 07:16 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Don't know it all, yet!

Rewards Points: 500

I'm sure it is frustrating after replacing the whole kit and still have a problem. Good advice already about making sure the seal area is clean and allowing the seal to do its job.

Quote:
The problem is the toilet still sounds like it is running?!?!
One step at a time. Make sure that you actually do have a leak. You probably do but... Have you tried the food coloring test? Put a few drops in the tank, leave several hours or overnight and see if it is moving down into the bowl.

Since everything is now new, maybe just take the flapper back and see if the store will give you another one.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't have any food coloring, but the toilet kit actually came with some balls that do the same thing as the food coloring test. I will try that when I get home tonight.

Also, a few people at work have mentioned there might by sediments around the opening causing the flapper to not seal correctly... I think that's why biggles mentioned the brillo pad. Do you think a dirty tank might also cause some debri? The tank looks pretty nasty, perhaps I should have cleaned it out better... but I guess I have to chalk the entire thing up as a learning process at this point.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #10
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I'm sure you did, but since nobody has asked yet.... did you adjust your fill valve when you put it in?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm sure you did, but since nobody has asked yet.... did you adjust your fill valve when you put it in?
I think so. It shuts off when the water reaches a certain point.

I'm hoping giving it a good scrubbing will clear some debri. That seems to be the most likely culprit based on everyone I have talked to.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #12

I tried the food color test and it leaked into the bowl. If I push the flapper into the opening it stops running. Did I not tighten something right? Is it worth trying another flapper? I just find it hard to believe three flappers have failed.

Advertisement