Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

toilet won't flush properly

my son replaced the flush system on the toilet now when flushing the water does not empty completely out of the tank and the water does not empty all the way out of the bowl making that swishing sound. I know the toilet is not plugged, i think there is an adjustment to be made but how and where? also how do you see the replies you receive? thanks

Last edited by slm3324; 11-13-2012 at 11:56 AM.
slm3324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I was just about to post the same issue, the toilet just makes a swiling motion and nothing empties without plunging the bowl, also makes a sucking sound,

jjchips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 598

The quickest way to see if there may be an obstruction is to dump a large bucket of water all at once into the bowl. If you get a great flush you know you're good in that direction. You also know you are not getting enough water fast enough from the tank into the bowl to get the same results. In my experience this was almost always due to scale build up in the water channel from hard water and time. The fix was about a quart of muratic acid down the overflow tube. Evacuate the room and let it work for about 1/2 an hour then flush out the deposits. Less frequently it would be a flapper valve that needed replaced because it couldn't float very well anymore or one of them flappers with a ballast tube on it that snapped shut too soon because the tank was level enough.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PoleCat For This Useful Post:
slm3324 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,054

I'd never suggest anyone use muratic acid in a toilet. Highly toxic and corrosive.
Lift the cove off of the tank and make sure the water coming up to the fill line. There should be a line or even the words "fill line" right on the back side of the tank.
If it is then take a pipe cleaner of metal coat hanger and clean out the holes in the under side of the lip in the toilet.
Still not working? then you may have something stuck in the toilet trap, pluged drain line or vent.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote