Toilet Wont Flush All The Way - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 115

Toilet wont flush all the way

My Crane toilet from 1998 isn't flushing all the way. I DID install a DualFlush system to save on water a while back and its worked fine for a year or so but now it only FULLY flushes when doing the 'solids' flush.
I've checked the jets under the rim and they're flowing good
No kids dropping toys in there
Poured both Drano and bacteria powder in there for overnight treatments
I poured a gallon of water in the bowl and it went down fine.
I bought a complete replacement kit and am going to install that but was holding off in case I just need to replace the entire toilet.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

Advertisement

Zamboknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 606

Almost never does a toilet "need" to be replaced.
Open the cover on the tank, most often there's a mark or some form of label that says fill. Does the water come up to that mark?
If the chain is set to long or the clips screatched out or bend it will not open up the flapper long or far enough.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Sounds like your flapper is not floating. The flapper Valve is supposed to float when you pull it free of the stand tube base through the lever and chain. It floats (Stays wide open) until the water level in the tank recedes with the flush, allowing it to drop down and seal once again.

Install a new flapper, an you're probably good to go, a few bucks.

Also if you have a water saver toilet cut a couple of 2 inch wide slots in the interior reservoir, so you get a full flush. Nothing dumber was ever created IMHO. I would be surprised they weren't invented by Roto Rooter.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,542

sorry to disagree ..but toilets do get scale build around the trap crown and will cause them to not flush right...you mentioned draino ..somrtimes chemicals burn the glazing off the china making the surface rough this too will affect the flush...you could try a closet auger and work it back and forth it may help...also do as joe suggested check water level...ben sr......make sure ball cock filler tube is filling bowl level back up as well.
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Well, I try to start with the simplest, least expensive things first, then move on to more severe. I would try the flapper first, then go from there. Or take off the tank lid. Hit the lever and watch what happens. If flappy drops halfway through the flush.........................

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #6

The system is a One2Flush water saving conversion kit.
Photo attached.
Water fill line looks good

Toilet wont flush all the way-image-1737744008.jpg

Toilet wont flush all the way-image-3812171474.jpg
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
keeping things simple

Rewards Points: 75

@ zamboknee

I was having a very similar problem you are having... ie the toilet won't flush completely. I tried everything... adding floats to the flapper valve hoping that would keep it open longer, adjusted the chain to ensure it was opening the valve all the way etc etc.

Anyway I replaced the flapper valve and it fixed the problem. I couldn't believe it worked. The new one stays open way longer and the toilet now flushes normally. As an added bonus the flapper valve I bought was adjustable and now I can control the size of the flush (amount of water used).

Hard to believe that a flapper valve can break down and stop working... they look like very simple devices to me and hard to believe they could malfunction. I changed nothing else in the system. The new flapper fixed the problem. Cost 10 bucks. Took 30 sec to get the old off and 10 seconds to put the new one on.

The idea of replacing the flapper valve I got off a utube video.

I'm still astonished by the whole thing... was working on the flush for a week off and on trying everything to get it to work.

It's worth checking out a new flapper valve. They go as cheap as 4 bucks to. I paid 10 cause I got an adjustable one.. (by mistake lol and glad I did).

oh .. and I cleaned out every orifice in that toilet and tested bowl and drain by dumping water down etc. checked tank to bowl drain etc... I was all over that thing... and still no flush. Changed a $10 flapper and done deal.

Last edited by frankm1960; 03-20-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: add some more stuff
frankm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
keeping things simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Well, I try to start with the simplest, least expensive things first, then move on to more severe. I would try the flapper first, then go from there. Or take off the tank lid. Hit the lever and watch what happens. If flappy drops halfway through the flush.........................

Bang on good advice I wish I had done that from the get go but live and learn I guess.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
keeping things simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Almost never does a toilet "need" to be replaced.
Open the cover on the tank, most often there's a mark or some form of label that says fill. Does the water come up to that mark?
If the chain is set to long or the clips screatched out or bend it will not open up the flapper long or far enough.
And if all that checks out ok and still doesn't work... then flush the toilet and watch how the flapper valve operates during the flush... if it closes to quick.... spend 10 bucks on a new one... dead easy to replace them. They do break down over time... I found this out today after I replaced mine.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm1960 View Post
And if all that checks out ok and still doesn't work... then flush the toilet and watch how the flapper valve operates during the flush... if it closes to quick.... spend 10 bucks on a new one... dead easy to replace them. They do break down over time... I found this out today after I replaced mine.
The problem is, as you might be able to see in the picture, that I can't really see the flapper as it's obstructed by the One2Flush housing.
FYI, I've emailed One2Flush over a month ago and STILL haven't heard back from them.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
keeping things simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboknee View Post
The problem is, as you might be able to see in the picture, that I can't really see the flapper as it's obstructed by the One2Flush housing.
FYI, I've emailed One2Flush over a month ago and STILL haven't heard back from them.
Ahh ok... I didn't look closely at those pix. That's a completely different system than I have. I've got the traditional flow control valve and flapper valve system and I can easily view the operation of the flapper valve.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
keeping things simple

Check the manual too... there must be some adjustments you can make. I've got a dual flush upstairs and I still haven't got that one adjusted properly (lost the manual ) and only the solid flush works... the small flush is to weak. It's an adjustment issue for me... once I get around to it. I never got it to work properly from the get go.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 624

My handyman would just tie fishing bobers to all my flappers. Those blue die packs in the back of the toilet are real killers on the insides.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
keeping things simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
My handyman would just tie fishing bobers to all my flappers. Those blue die packs in the back of the toilet are real killers on the insides.
That's a good idea with the fishing bobber
I made 6 1" washers out of 1/2" thick pink styrofoam... inserted on the chain just above the existing flapper valve float... a pretty big chunk of foam.. and it held it open longer but not good enough. The new flapper valve I bought doesn't come with floats or nothing but worked 10 times better for some reason that still boggles my mind. The new one looked identical almost to the old... there doesn't seem to be much there to go wrong... but night and day difference in operation. Even more astounding I can adjust the new one to use less water and it works! For 10 bucks and 10 min of my time and done. It's a miracle after what I did trying to get that damn thing to work these past two weeks.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

I did plumbing for 20+ years. in all those years the crane toilets were the most anemic toilet i ran into. even with a 5 gallon tank and holding the handle down they would finally flush.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote