Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet won't flush

Having a problem with getting my toilet to flush properly. Its a new construction condo - about 2 years old. New toilet. Worked fine for 2 years. Suddenly it wont flush properly. Tank water level is about 3/4 in below refill tube. Flushes and fills bowl all the way, swirls a little bit (its more like a gargle, it used to swirl much much more) and the water just sits there. After about 20 seconds the water eventually drains, but then bowl does not re-fill up. The bowl is maybe 1/10 full at the most. When empty I poured about 5 gallons of water in there and it drained fine, so I seem to think its not clogged. Also plunged it very hard for a long time again so I dont think its clogged. Any help?? Let me know if my description is not clear.

hollywood60640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet won't flush

Sounds like the holes where the water enter the toilet around the rim are loaded with minerals/calcium blocking swirling action and force.

Need to run some CLR or some kind of cleaner through the system to open up the holes.

Very hard to see probably need a mirror to look under rim.

Good luck

PS: Could also be water pressure decrease.

SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet won't flush

If 5 gallons of water poured into the bowl drains quickly, that kinda states that it isn't a clogged pipe. Hopefully, you poured it as fast as possible and the bowl didn't fill and then drain the same as when you flush. I suggest checking the vent pipe on the roof. Now is the time you can find bird nests and leaves blocking the line. take a flashlight with you. Please make sure it is safe to make that trip to the roof.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #4

Toilet won't flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
Sounds like the holes where the water enter the toilet around the rim are loaded with minerals/calcium blocking swirling action and force.

Need to run some CLR or some kind of cleaner through the system to open up the holes.

Very hard to see probably need a mirror to look under rim.

Good luck

PS: Could also be water pressure decrease.
Thanks for the response. Taking a mirror to look, it does not appear that these holes are blocked. Water comes out of them and fills the bowl, the bowl just does not drain as quick as a normal flush. Liquids will go down eventually, but no solids.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #5

Toilet won't flush

Turned out to be clogged afterall. Bought a $6 toilet auger and it cleared it right up. Works great now. Thanks for the help
Old 12-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet won't flush

Glad to hear you got it, you threw me off when you threw the 5 gallon bucket down and it flushed good.
SULTINI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet won't flush

I am also glad you got the problem fixed. I also agree that when you stated the results of the water bucket test, this advises most people that the problem isn't in the toilet, but in the piping. All I can think of, and i mentioned it in my post, is that you poured the water in slowly. This makes the test useless.