Toilet Wax Rings - Plain Wax? Reinforced? With/without Flange? How Do You Decide? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

Toilet wax rings - plain wax? reinforced? with/without flange? How do you decide?

Toilet wax rings - plain wax? reinforced? with/without flange? How do you decide?

I added ceramic tile to my bathroom floor so added roughly 3/8" height. I bought a plain round flange (7/16" thick) at Home Depot & used silicon to glue it to the existing flange. Will screw in with slightly longer screws than was used previously.

Question on screws:
HD guy said any screws would be ok - is this true? There were drywall screws in there when I took it apart. Should I use brass (I assume not as strong but won't rust) or just plain old screws (is drywall ok? Or get the silver-colored ones at hardware?)

Question on wax rings: What's the rule on deciding what to use? I went with the flange, thinking it would give me a little extra protection (even though I added only 7/16", if it helps prevent any leakage, I'd be happy) and a "reinforced" ring. Is this a good choice?

Harveys, the Original No-Seep No. 3 Part No. 004305
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/W...66462/Cat/1372

Secondary question (still in the bathroom!):
I bought a "quick install" faucet which ended up not working out (no room for pop-up lever behind faucet). However, I have a question: they used a soft foam round thing (called a "sponge washer" by the manufacturer) under the part of the drain you see inside the sink. I only dry-installed everything before figuring the faucet would not work, but I was wonder about this soft foam washerand whether I should use plumber's putty instead. For future reference: what do people think of this soft foam washer? (I'm sure it's the same stuff kids use to cut up and glue for art projects). My thought was that bathroom drain chemicals were going to destroy it - possibly dissolve it. (I don't use those things but someone might if I move.) It was an American Standard faucet, seen here: http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...l.aspx?id=3052

Advertisement

Last edited by lazzlazz; 05-17-2010 at 12:30 AM.
lazzlazz is offline   Reply With Quote