Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet water supply valve compression ring corroded - how to unscrew the nut now?

Heya - I'm trying to replace my toilet water supply valve which is connected to a copper pipe via a compression ring and nut. But its stuck - I can't unscrew it and there is some blue/green copper corrosion in the threads of the valve that lead into the nut (the nut rotates on the copper pipe but I can't unscrew the valve from the nut). I think the corroded copper is making the threads stick and impossible to turn the nut to remove the valve.

I've tried WD40 and no luck. Now I've sprayed a solution of vinegar and salt onto the threads to try and eliminate the copper corrosion but it doesn't seem to be doing anything - I'm not sure it will seep deep enough into all the threads to have an effect anyways (will leave it overnight and see).

I'm afraid to try and hack-saw the nut as I'm not very adept with a saw and it will probably take until doomsday to cut the nut. Is it okay to just cut the copper pipe at the edge of the nut? I think it will be easier for me to cut copper. There is a good 1.5 inches of copper pipe sticking out of the wall up to the edge of the nut. The new water supply valve comes with a new nut which has a copper ring inside. If I cut the copper pipe do I just slide the new nut over top of the pipe then screw the new water supply valve into it?

I've attached a photo. If anyone can give me advice on the best way to get this old valve removed I'd appreciate it (I'm trying to connect a Bidet attachment which requires a different kind of valve).

THANKS!!
Attached Images

Jenju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

Toilet water supply valve compression ring corroded - how to unscrew the nut now?

I've never had one not come off and I've removed hundreds.
Are you using one wrench to hold the valve and turning the nut clock wise as your facing it?

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #3

Get a bigger wrench.
handyman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

Are you turning it the wright way?
handyman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
DIY staff

Joe asked, and I will---are you using two wrenches? one on the valve and one on the nut?

Like Joe--I've removed hundreds of those and never had one fight me----are you turning the correct direction?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

deleted

Last edited by Canarywood1; 02-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #7
Master Plumber

Those valve are super cheap and flimsy too much force on the nut accually ovals the nut and it will never come off you have the room cut the copper and go back with a new good quality quarter turn stop. make sure the mating copper is clean and smooth, be done with it..

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
Jenju (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Joe asked, and I will---are you using two wrenches? one on the valve and one on the nut?

Like Joe--I've removed hundreds of those and never had one fight me----are you turning the correct direction?

Yes, I'm using two wrenches, one on the valve and one on the nut, and I'm turning them the right way: just like in this youtube video:

The blue/green corrosion has not come off the threads despite leaving salt & vinegar solution on it all night. Its possible someone stronger could do it but I'm not a total wimp. I think I'm going to go ahead and cut the copper pipe and install a new nut unless someone else comes up with another suggestion.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Roofmaster

That does not appear to be a compression nut to me, that appears to be part of a 1/2 female threaded supply valve. Put a hold back pipe wrench on the stub out facing down to the right, and turn the nut (Valve) CCW with a pipe wrench, after you drain the tank, and take off the supply tube.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Jenju;1111177] (the nut rotates on the copper pipe but I can't unscrew the valve from the nut). I think the corroded copper is making the threads stick and impossible to turn the nut to remove the valve.

You've certainly lost me on the above statements. How the nut can rotate on the pipe but not rotate on the valve threads is beyond my comprehension.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Fairview;1111590]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenju View Post
(the nut rotates on the copper pipe but I can't unscrew the valve from the nut). I think the corroded copper is making the threads stick and impossible to turn the nut to remove the valve.

You've certainly lost me on the above statements. How the nut can rotate on the pipe but not rotate on the valve threads is beyond my comprehension.
I wonder if that is one of those cheap builder's grade push on stops disguised as a compression stop
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Jenju (02-07-2013), oh'mike (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #12
registered

shut the main water Off turn sink valve to drain water out of bathroom pipes. Now just take a copper pipe cutter and cut the pipe. You have plenty of room. Go buy one.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.URPe8WdZMQ4

While your there grab a sharkbite fitting. Something like this.

http://www.homedepot.com/SharkBite/S...1#.URPftWdZMQ4

Last edited by 747; 02-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Jenju (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
registered

[QUOTE=TheEplumber;1111603]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post

I wonder if that is one of those cheap builder's grade push on stops disguised as a compression stop

I think your rite if it is. Put a adjust wrench on the copper pipe. Now pull foward toward the fitting. It might pop it loose. They actually make a tool for this I think a adjust wrench mike work instead.

Last edited by 747; 02-07-2013 at 12:32 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Jenju (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Fairview;1111590]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenju View Post
(the nut rotates on the copper pipe but I can't unscrew the valve from the nut). I think the corroded copper is making the threads stick and impossible to turn the nut to remove the valve.

Well, its confusing me too!
Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #15

[QUOTE=747;1111617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post

I think your rite if it is. Put a adjust wrench on the copper pipe. Now pull foward toward the fitting. It might pop it loose. They actually make a tool for this I think a adjust wrench mike work instead.

I've just tried pulling the valve/nut part off the copper pipe with wrenches but its not budging. I don't really want to buy any more tools so I'm going to cut the pipe and start fresh!