Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Share |
Smile

toilet water inlet kept clogging up

the water in my toilet inlet line kept clogging up. it would work each time i shut off the main water and turn it back on. but only a few times then is plugged up again. I have installed a brand new water pipe and shut off valve between the output behind the toilet and input of toilet. at first i thought it was a defective valve and water line going into the toilet. but the clogging is apparently behind the drywall where the water pipe is hidden. My question is what causes the copper pipe line to clog up sporadically? what causes it to work again after shutting off the main water and turning it back on? Is it the pressure? I have fixed the same problem a few times and it was working and then the problem repeats itself. I am preparing to cut the dry wall and copper pipe but fear that it would not resolve the problem. any advice given would be gratefully appreicated.
thanks

handyman.wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #2

Sounds to me like you have debris in-line that's causing the problem. You'll have to bleed the line slowly through the angle stop valve (where the water line for the WC hooks up). Use a small bucket, if possible, or if it's too low a frying pan also works. Good luck!

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

This is what I suggest.

Remove the stem of the angle stop valve (shutoff valve) as if you were going to change the washer.

Have someone hole a bucket or pot over the opening while you turn the water on full blast for a few seconds.

This should get rid of debris inside the pipe.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

Hey handyman.wong I agree that there is definitely blockage in the line somewhere but it's kind of odd that on a couple of occasions you were able to turn off water at the main supply and just by turning it back on able to get the water flowing again. It seems like if debris was the cause that method would just impact more gunk into the supply line or at the very least push it into the fill valve . I would say wait till you clog again, turn off the main water and remove the valve then snake the line with something thin like one of those sink drain zip line barb cleaning things. It should be just long enough to get into the pipe and pull out whatever debris is blocking the line. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're dealing with and then you can go ahead and flush the line while the valve is off. I'm interested to know what you find the problem to be as this is a kinda weird one.

Cheers,
ChrisFixit
ChrisFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 PM   #5

I finally cut out the water inlet line behind the drywall to install a new T-joint, knowing it would not fix the problem. I guess doing something about it somehow satisfies my curiosity. As it turns out, the water line from the basement goes up to the bathroom through the sink first, then toilet inlet with a T-joint and then the shower. I had no way to being sure unless i cut the drywall behind the sink. but Judging from the powerful water pressure from the sink, water must be going in the sink faucet first. The toilet being in the middle and tied together with a T-joint gets its share from the sink inlet cold. basically the shower, sink and toilet inlet cold all share the same cold water line. I suppose the order is not important. here is what I suspect. the positemp in the shower control seems to hog all the water because as long as I do not turn on the shower, the reset toilet gets it cold water. As soon as the shower is turned on, I hear a loud click behind, (guessing from the posi-temp) that takes over the cold water from the toilet, all in the while leaving the sink faucet unfettered. This tells me that the positemp designed to balance the temperature between hot cold and pressure shared the common line, i.e. toilet inlet, must be busted. Each it turns on, it would not return to the position where it regulate the cold water, leaving the toilet inlet running. Please let me know if I am stood corrected. I welcome and appreciate all helpful suggestions.
many thanks
wonghandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #6

If nobody is using water anywhere in the house, does the toilet inlet work properly?

It is possible for the cold water pressure to drop if the shower valve is defective and turned off, and cold water crosses over behind the faucet and goes the wrong way down the hot water pipe to where someone else is using water.

Still, for this to cause a problem there is probably debris in the line near the toilet.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-12-2011 at 07:03 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 PM   #7

after cutting the t-joint where the water splits between the sink, shower and toilet, I found no debris in the line. My conclusion was if there were debris in the line, all three fixtures sharing the cold water should have been stuffed up. But the doosie is the shower & sink faucet would be running fine hot and cold, leaving only the cut off to the toilet. it has been driving me nuts for almost a year. I am a hardcore home remodeling person and have done a fair share of plumbing. I do not consider myself an expert but am pretty confidence of my work. This problem just takes the topping off my cake, leaving the stale after taste, lingering for at least a year now.

Thank you for the constructive diagnose. Wonghandyman

Last edited by wonghandyman; 04-12-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #8

BTW, turning off the main water line incidentally adjusts the water pressure to the entire house, that some how rebalances the pressure between the shower, toilet and sink, making all three working fine. I also have noticed that once my buddy increased the main control, creating more pressure to the house, it caused the running shower to knock loudly subsequently hogging all cold water from the toilet, perhaps due to pressure drop. My educated guess is since the toilet accepts a 3/8" pipe from a 1/2" pipe, more pressure is needed to fill up the tank. However, losing pressure to the shower leaving it without the force to drive the water into a smaller pipe, namely the 3/8" supply line. Does it sound right to anyone? thanks

Last edited by wonghandyman; 04-12-2011 at 08:26 PM.