Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 284

Toilet venting

I am trying to install a toilet in my basement that will drain into a sewer ejector pit. The toilet flange is a 3" flange, that imediately goes into a 4" PVC pipe. The 4" pipe will T off after about 4', with one side of the T being plugged for future use, when the time comes for the rest of the bathroom, the other end goes about 5' and dumps into the ejector pit. About 2' prior to dumping into the ejector pit is a 2" wet vent, which is fed by washing machine and laundry sink.

Do I need to add a seperate vent for this toilet, or will the existing 2" wet vent suffice? Eventually, when the rest of the bathroom is installed, I will have a 2" vent for those fixtures and it will exit this main 4" trunk about 6' from the toilet and about 2' on the opposite side of the T.

If a pic is needed, I'll see what I can do tomorrow. Thanks!

Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet venting

In my code, you have to vent a w/c within 6 feet, but you cannot tie in any other fixtures before the vent. So you're OK, with exception of the tee (make sure its a wye, not a tee). Tie in that wye downstream of the vent and you're ok

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Toilet venting

a laundry tub with a 1 1/2" trap and washing mach.with a 2" trap = 5 dfu's and in IL.that is 1 to many.if your future plbg.was installed and kept 2"all the way to where you tie it into existing vent or whatever then that would work as long as no more than 4 dfu's are attached to the wet vent.
PS:use a Y,not a T
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #4

Toilet venting

This is what I've decide to do, I hope it works.

Coming out of the ejector pit is a 4" line. About a foot from the pit is where my washing machine and future laundry tub drain. That line is 2".

The 4" line continues into the future bathroom and goes to a 4x4x4 wye. The angled part of the wye gets reduced down to 3" pipe and continues towards the toilet. Midway I will install a 3x3x2 tee, which will branch off to a 2" vent tied into the same vent used by the laundry. I illustrated this in red. It will tie in well above the flood rim of any fixture, about 5' up. On the straight part of the 4x4x4 wye, I will install a 90* elbow which will provide the drain for a future tub/shower and sink. This 90* elbow will most likely again be reduced to a 3" line, but may remain 4". Basically, I'll determine what size and how much pipe I have left. Somewhere on this leg, I will place another 2" vent pipe, which again will tie into the vent for the toilet and laundry. I tried to show that in blue.

My understanding is a 2" vent is fine for all of that if nothing is wet vented, correct??
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Toilet venting

are you required to have a floor drain ? 3" pipe would be large enough instead of 4".if you wet vented your toilet with the future tub/shower and lav you could eliminate that extra blue vent pipe and running that 3" waste for future.just use long sweep 90s and Ys and keep it 2"
rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:05 PM   #6

Toilet venting

I actually just forgot to draw in the floor drain, as I am installing one, just to be safe. It will be installed right after the spot where the laundry drains into the 4". I know 3" would be fine, but I had most of the 4" pipe and fittings, so figured, might as well do that. I actually have just decided that I have enough pipe to go 4" all the way to the toilet, so that is now the plan.

I am confused about how I'd elimate the blue vent and wet vent the toilet. Wouldn't that wet vent my tub/shower and lav?