Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

toilet- to vent or not to vent

My project:
I am converting a laundry room into a 3/4 bath for 90 year old grandma. it is located almost in the center of house ( no roof access ) not sure if the wahser was vented as the drain pipe was just set into open air pipe to stack on opposit side of the room with no air tight connection. The basement below is unfinshed space so access there is easy. thee toilet will be approximately 7.5 feel from the 3" main veritical stack

What I think I unsderstand:
I understand that sinks, showers tubs etc need to be vented to prevent traps from going dry. i understand that the purpose of the vent is to keep air behind the water....

My questions:
SO my questions seems silly to some extent but here they are anyway.
1. Do toilets need to be vented - as the tank/ flapper allows for air to enter the system - as well as the natural air from the bowl upon flush - I had a licesined plumber tell me that the toilet did not need a seperate vent and that it could also be counted as a vent for other fixtures in some cases- ( a well known company - but they gave 2 quotes for the same job with 3K difference)

2.. because my finished location is terrible plumbing wise could a looped vent similar to what is used with a kitchen island work.

I don't care much about the code at this point I want to know what will work as it will not be inspected and I need to get grandma moved in as quickly as I can....she is 90!!!

Slick Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Plumb or Die!

Toilets have to be vented. Barber's loop won't work, neither will an AAV.

plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #3

thanks
Slick Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
Toilets have to be vented. Barber's loop won't work, neither will an AAV.
just out of curiousity, what happens if a toilet isnt vented??
I have known a couple of people to put bathrooms in their basement without any proper venting at all. Just using a 'cheat vent' on the sink. They dont seem to have any problems with the drains.
phantasm72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

Memory's a bit rusty as I did this a couple of years ago (built my own house), but as I recall the theory of it all, a vent is to put air behind the water so your trap doesn't get sucked dry. A toilet, on the other hand, is in essence a very large trap that's DESIGNED to be sucked out. The code where I live (IRC 2003) does not require toilets to be separately vented, no matter how far they are from the waste stack, so neither of mine is and they work fine.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote