Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet Vent

As I understand toilets to work; they technically do not need a "vent" like other fixtures as they generally drop right down the stack and/or wye right into the main 4" drain leaving the house (which is also tied into the main stack).

Am I understanding that correctly?

I'm a DIY plumber and wondering about a basement 1/2 bath install. As I understand what the city has told me; a simple AAV will suffice for a vanity in the basement. The toilet which would be wye'd into the 4" drain leaving the house

Attached is a picture about what I've been thinking would suffice. My main concern is about the toilet having proper flushing capability.

Thank you all very much in advance, this is/has been a very useful forum for the masses!
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Vent-bathroom-drawing.jpg  

noahrexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet Vent

Noah,

Up here are required to vent our toilets, usually by wet venting (venting through another fixture). What does your local authorities have to say? They are ultimately the ones who are going to pass or fail your work.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #3

Toilet Vent

Thanks for your reply.

I do not necessarily understand what a wet vent is necessarily. But as I think I do - would my toilet setup, as drawn, be considered a wet vent through the vanity's AAV?

The nearest vent to tie into would be about even with the stack (~13ft away). That is the vent for the basement drain - it is 1.5" galvanized. It rises to the basement ceiling (~7ft) and goes under the floor joists and shoots up somewhere into the 1st floor - which I am guessing provides a vent for the 1st floor bathroom and/or ties into the main stack up there.

I thought by my drawing that the toilet was wet vented through the vanity AAV and that that would provide additional "ventilation". Does the main stack, which is about 15' upstream the toilet, vent the toilet if I just dropped the 3" ABS line and wye's right into the 4" line?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #4

Toilet Vent

Oh, and I had thought a little bit about running a vent 2" ABS (dry) vent up the height of the ceiling, in between the floor joists and out the side of the house.

This would effectively be about 10' from one basement window, 5' from another basement window and 4' UNDERNEATH a bedroom window (that resides on the floor directly above the bathroom).

Bad idea? I haven't asked the city about anything yet cause I'm not even sure if I want to build a bathroom yet. Just gathering info.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 602

Toilet Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
Noah,

Up here are required to vent our toilets, usually by wet venting (venting through another fixture). What does your local authorities have to say? They are ultimately the ones who are going to pass or fail your work.
VIP is on the money in some areas that may be ok under my code the inspector would have a fit. Check with your local inspector, most of them will work/help you.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #6

Toilet Vent

So if the vanity wye's into the toilet, does the toilet not effectively wet-vent through the vanity's vent (the AAV)?

And thank you folks for your replies - I appreciate getting the feedback. Its not so easy going into the city here, they are not as helpful as the folks were back in Colorado.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet Vent

Noah,

None of the inspectors here would allow us to vent through an AAV. It's a mechanical device (read: potential to fail) and mostly only allow us to use them in kitchen islands.

I believe that there's one of the codes in the US (IPC? I know I'd seen it mentioned here somewhere) that don't require vents for toilets but can't be certain. Maybe if you could post your location & someone here familiar with your area could help.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,090

Toilet Vent

My house is plumbed to IRC 2003, which does not require toilets to be vented. They work just fine. But, ultimately, you're going to have to do whatever your local code and inspector require.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 548

Toilet Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahrexion View Post
So if the vanity wye's into the toilet, does the toilet not effectively wet-vent through the vanity's vent (the AAV)?

And thank you folks for your replies - I appreciate getting the feedback. Its not so easy going into the city here, they are not as helpful as the folks were back in Colorado.
That is a depends question a Lav and a W/C plus bath equals right a round 8 fixture units your AAV might be rated only for 6 units. Units are measured by the size of the trap.
Your Toilet needs to be vented the vents going out must equal in size to the main sewer pipe size. that means if it is a 4" pipe you have to pipe equaling the same size like two 2" vents got it. best of luck.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 520

Toilet Vent

either way if you plump it the way you have it drawn the toilet is wet vented and over sized to be used as one and if the sink and toilet are in the same room it is called bath group and a 6 btu aav would work
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #11

Toilet Vent

I talked to a plumber and he mentioned that he would try the exact same route. He said that if the city had an issue then he would just wall mount an AAV for the toilet and put another AAV under the sink for the vanity.

This is for a half bath only - no bath. He mentioned the lav as (1) and the toilet as (2.5) - I am not sure if that means units or what.

The plan was to use a 2" P-Trap. I think I'm going to draw this up and bring it in to see what these guys have to say. Thanks for your guys' help!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Toilet Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
My house is plumbed to IRC 2003, which does not require toilets to be vented. They work just fine. But, ultimately, you're going to have to do whatever your local code and inspector require.

Just looked at the IRC 2003 Toilets need to be vented

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 558

Toilet Vent

The 4" main stack is your vent. It is full of air. What the hell else are you going to do, run a separate vent through the roof for every fixture?
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #14

Toilet Vent

According to my original drawing - does anyone have any input as to the specific fittings I should be using?

I was planning on ABS for everything and using a wye for the vent off the toilet (vanity drain). Would I just use two rubber couplings to attach a 3" wye off of the main line (cut a section out and install an ABS wye with rubber couplings on either end)?

There was mention of a backwater valve install - which I know must be accessible as well. Is that something that would go off of the branch to the toilet or off of the main 4" line running out to the street?

Thanks folks!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,090

Toilet Vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post
Just looked at the IRC 2003 Toilets need to be vented
Well, technically that's true. But as cleveman says, the main stack is the vent. There is no SEPARATE vent required.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote