Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #1

Share |

Toilet valve replacement?

I just replaced the 'guts' on a toilet and all went well. However, looking at the water supply valve (at the wall), I noticed that it is kinda screwy. The water supply lines that run thru the house are that flexible plastic (gray, maybe 5/8" OD). The valve itself is brass (or at least metal), but where the 1/2 " toilet line comes out of the valve, it's like a 'shouldered' design, not a screw on like I've seen before. This must be some sort of special valve connection? My hardware store doesn't carry anything like this. I'm a little nervous, as the supply line to the toilet looks a little worn (it's the metal, spiral type). Any ideas about this valve, and am I describing it well enough to get a replacement at wherever that might be? I'd really like something with a screw on at the valve and put one of those steel jacketed lines in. Thanks!
steve771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

Sounds like quest pipe, anyway you can post a picture for me to see?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply Ron! I'll try to get a digital pic and then figure out how to post it tomorrow. Just as further info, my house is about 7 years old, so if that would help on what types of plastic pipe they might have used? From what I've read, Quest pipe was discontinued over 10 years ago, yes? Oh, and I forgot to mention, this type of valve (with the 'shoulder' instead of a screw on) is only at the toilets. The other valves (bath & kitchen) all have the screw on types. Go figure!

Last edited by steve771; 07-05-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:42 AM   #4

Is it a compression style fitting?

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/water-supply-valves-for-toilets.html
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #5

It looks like a compression to me...

... don't know if it shows up as well in the pic, but the water pipe (the part between the wall flange and the first nut), is more of a cloudy clear than a true gray.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #6

It appears to be a compression style shut off valve.
If you want to replace it then I would turn off the water before this shut off before you remove it.

You will need two wrenches - one to loosen up the nut and one to hold the valve from rotating. The nut will stay on the grey line and the new valve will use this nut to resure it.

Do you have access to the supply line after it enters behind the wall?
Is there a basement below this ?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #7

Right, I understand about cutting off the water, etc. What I'm looking for is the actual valve I need to use. That is, since this is a plastic supply line, and my hardware store carries valves for copper or iron pipe, what sort of valve would I use? I would think if you could use any compression type valve on this, that would be indicated on the packaging of the valve... it's not indicated for what I've seen. I understand what you are saying about the nut staying on the pipe, but I thought that once you 'compressed' a valve, you wouldn't reuse the nut/compression ring and instead would install a new one. Or am I mistaken there? IF I could reuse the nut/compression, I would think any valve would work (proper nut size, of course), HOWEVER, I want to be sure before tearing into this, as I will have to shut off all water to the house and I don't have direct access to this pipe in the wall (this house is on a slab).
Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #8
Long-Time DIYer

This appears to be a 1/2" (from wall) X 3/8" (to toilet) compression fitting valve on a PEX plastic water line to me.
You can use the old nut and ferrule ring that is on the plastic line by removing them on the new valve and screwing the old nut-with-ring onto the new valve. If the old ring leaks a bit, just smear a little clear silicone caulk on it (the ring) to seal it.
Use a stainless steel flex line made for the purpose for the valve-to-toilet connection. They come in various links and have built-in seals on the valve ends.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #9

Thanks Mike. So just to confirm... as long as the old nut fits the new valve, I can use that don't have to worry about whether or not the new valve says it is specifically for plastic?

Not to beat a dead horse, but if plastic is common (and I believe it is, at least here in Las Vegas), why don't valves that are for copper say they can be used on plastic?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
Journeyman Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post
Thanks Mike. So just to confirm... as long as the old nut fits the new valve, I can use that don't have to worry about whether or not the new valve says it is specifically for plastic?

Not to beat a dead horse, but if plastic is common (and I believe it is, at least here in Las Vegas), why don't valves that are for copper say they can be used on plastic?
Yes you can use the same nut that the old valve uses.

Why don't they say can be used for plastic, well they do, only in a way it specifies, it does not have to say for copper, it says 5/8 OD, compression, thats all it has to say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #11

Hey, thanks a bunch Ron! (and everyone else)

Great to have a resource like this to ask questions.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
Long-Time DIYer

Often with a compression fitting on a plastic line, there will be a small brass sleeve to slip inside the plastic line for reinforcement. i.g. a refrigerator water line.
Mike
Old 07-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
Yes you can use the same nut that the old valve uses.

Why don't they say can be used for plastic, well they do, only in a way it specifies, it does not have to say for copper, it says 5/8 OD, compression, thats all it has to say.
Ron, I want to talk to you about doing some work. I am located in Eugene Oregon. I would have PM'ed you but the site wont let me until I have 20 posts. Please send me a message, or if someone else sees this, please pm Ron for me
Thanks,
Jason
birdwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #14
Long-Time DIYer

Jason,
You're about to find one the best plumbers in the business!
I've known Ron for a number of years on various DIY sites, and he is great!
Mike
Edit: Of course, don't tell Ron I said That. LOL

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 07-08-2007 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve771 View Post

How did you make out?