DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

toilet troubles

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Docwhitley 
#1 ·
We have a basement toilet that had a broken plastic flange welded to the pipe. We have had a family member working on it and he has fixed the toilet to the point where there's a new flange and it's all working with no leaks. The problem now is that, with the new rigging, the toilet sits about an inch off the tile floor. We can't use it until that problem is fixed. It has been suggested to us to use some sort of expandable foam under the toilet, let that dry, and that will support the toilet. I've tried to do research on a product like this, but I don't know what it is. Is this the best/easiest way to go about fixing the toilet? There's no way my husband's going to be up for starting over.

#2 ·
I would not advise using expanding foam.
Not sure what you can do, I'd be inclined to tile up a shelf to hold it, then reset it flat and flush to that.
Others here will likely have better answers, or there may already be a product out there that slips right in?

DM

#5 ·
Not to be a smart a**, but the fix seems worse than the problem you started with in the first place. I guess you could spend some bucks to bring the flooring up to the toilet's level but that seems a bit backwards (without seeing the whole thing). WHy can't the flange be reinstalled so that the toilet will be on level as the flooring?

#8 ·
Do not use the foam. It is not meant for compression applications and definatley not for toilets - very unsanitary because of its porous properties. You need to back track and make the proper repairs. Pull the toilet and remove the broken flange fitting. Purchase and install a new flange. Anchor it to the floor and reset the toilet. If it sounds too difficult, hire a plumber. Also search this site for broken flange. I think your problem is already addressed

#10 · (Edited)
the Eplumber said,

Do not use the foam. It is not meant for compression applications and definatley not for toilets - very unsanitary because of its porous properties. You need to back track and make the proper repairs. Pull the toilet and remove the broken flange fitting. Purchase and install a new flange. Anchor it to the floor and reset the toilet. If it sounds too difficult, hire a plumber. Also search this site for broken flange. I think your problem is already addressed

Enough said !

If your going to do a job do it the right way or hire someone that will / can

#11 ·
I also believe the foam is a bad idea. If you do not care what it looks like, cement or grout would do the job. But you would have to get alot under the base of the commode all the way around it to support it. If you won't call a plumber, consider repairing the flange properly?

#12 ·
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:18&biw=1003&bih=403

This is what you'll need... They make them in 3'' and 4'' sizes (I don't prefer the 3'' b/c it decreases pipe diameter too much but, it'll work. It slides down into pipe... you'll need to first, cut out the old stuff to where the pipe is flush with floor.... insert this into pipe (i'd throw a little vaseline on the rubber gasket).... then you'll anchor it to the floor.... then you tighten the 3 allen screws inside and that will expand the rubber gasket.

#15 ·
I wished I knew about that fitting. That is the way to go. If you insist on building it up instead my brother in law had the same problem and he used a powder called "fix all" you mix with water. Then he spread it under the toilet and set the toilet on it. He shaped the stuff to the toilet and it looks ok. It looks like drywall mud but is much stronger He has lived in the house for 13 years now and it is still working.

#16 ·
Toilet level

O.K. All you need is a piece of plywood with thickness equal of a gap between toilet base and tile floor.
#1 Remove the toilet completely
#2 Cut the plywood, size-- equal to toilet base+6 inches wider ;
cut a hole inside that plywood equal to toilet flange diameter+1/4 inch
#3 Thickness of that plywood must be equal to thickness of toilet flange or thickness of the gap between toilet base and the floor
#4 Lower that precut plywood into the flange,so flange will be fully functional ,but it will be in level with plywood
#5 Install a new wax ring over the flange--its thickness should be a little bit more than thickness of empty space inside toilet's bottom
#6 Now you have toilet standing on plywood and in level with the floor
#7 You may paint the plywood in the same color as tiles or for perfection--install the same tiles over left and right plywood spaces.

#21 ·
Not a plumber however the suggestions by plumbers on here is the greatest, pull toilet clean up all junk including old flange and replace with new flange as shown, replace toilet. No foam, no caulk, no floor buildup.

Just a nice well done clean replacement job. Ain't that what you were looking for?

#22 ·
Listen

To your Plumbers!!! Favorite slogan I saw is

Your wife calls me to repair the things you fixed

Do it right or you are not going to be happy. You will know there was a way to do it correctly but you choose not to do it. Now my big problem is a personal pet peeve... I hate caulk (or anything) that seals the outside of the toilet to the floor! I went to a Drain blockage that had Caulk around the Toilet... Popped the Toilet and the Stench of urine that had soaked into the floor hit me like a ton of Bricks. The floor was completely rotten where this toilet had been leaking for months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.