Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Share |

toilet troubles

We have a basement toilet that had a broken plastic flange welded to the pipe. We have had a family member working on it and he has fixed the toilet to the point where there's a new flange and it's all working with no leaks. The problem now is that, with the new rigging, the toilet sits about an inch off the tile floor. We can't use it until that problem is fixed. It has been suggested to us to use some sort of expandable foam under the toilet, let that dry, and that will support the toilet. I've tried to do research on a product like this, but I don't know what it is. Is this the best/easiest way to go about fixing the toilet? There's no way my husband's going to be up for starting over.
Katigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
the Musigician

toilet troubles

I would not advise using expanding foam.
Not sure what you can do, I'd be inclined to tile up a shelf to hold it, then reset it flat and flush to that.
Others here will likely have better answers, or there may already be a product out there that slips right in?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #3

toilet troubles

I'm never up for starting over myself but sometimes that's what the job calls for. Currently looking at a repiping job on my tub spout so it sits flush to the wall.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

toilet troubles

Maybe some hydrolic cement? That would be kinda a hackish fix, but depending on how bad it is, might be doable, with a line of caulk around it. The tricky part is getting enough in there for a good and even support.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

toilet troubles

Not to be a smart a**, but the fix seems worse than the problem you started with in the first place. I guess you could spend some bucks to bring the flooring up to the toilet's level but that seems a bit backwards (without seeing the whole thing). WHy can't the flange be reinstalled so that the toilet will be on level as the flooring?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #6

toilet troubles

i've met a few old timer plumbers that set toilets in grout to provide a solid, level surface. never liked it myself, it can be a big hassle when you go to replace it, but it would give you the stability that you need
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #7

toilet troubles

I guess if all you are looking for is a solid base, cut some blocks of wood to fit under the perimeter of the toilet but that wouldn't do much for supporting the rest of the fixture IMO.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
call me E

toilet troubles

Do not use the foam. It is not meant for compression applications and definatley not for toilets - very unsanitary because of its porous properties. You need to back track and make the proper repairs. Pull the toilet and remove the broken flange fitting. Purchase and install a new flange. Anchor it to the floor and reset the toilet. If it sounds too difficult, hire a plumber. Also search this site for broken flange. I think your problem is already addressed
TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
kenmac (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #9
the Musigician

toilet troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
I'm never up for starting over myself but sometimes that's what the job calls for. Currently looking at a repiping job on my tub spout so it sits flush to the wall.
Re-piping???? When we moved here, I had the same problem. 2 plumbing pieces, a scrap of pipe and some cpvc glue and I fixed it.
Here's a pic of it. I still had the old one laying around. Lucky you!

DM
Attached Thumbnails
toilet troubles-tubing.jpg  
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
HVAC / Plumbing

toilet troubles

the Eplumber said,

Do not use the foam. It is not meant for compression applications and definatley not for toilets - very unsanitary because of its porous properties. You need to back track and make the proper repairs. Pull the toilet and remove the broken flange fitting. Purchase and install a new flange. Anchor it to the floor and reset the toilet. If it sounds too difficult, hire a plumber. Also search this site for broken flange. I think your problem is already addressed

Enough said !

If your going to do a job do it the right way or hire someone that will / can

Last edited by kenmac; 12-01-2010 at 07:23 PM.
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #11

toilet troubles

I also believe the foam is a bad idea. If you do not care what it looks like, cement or grout would do the job. But you would have to get alot under the base of the commode all the way around it to support it. If you won't call a plumber, consider repairing the flange properly?
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
Picky Plumber

toilet troubles

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1003&bih=403

This is what you'll need... They make them in 3'' and 4'' sizes (I don't prefer the 3'' b/c it decreases pipe diameter too much but, it'll work. It slides down into pipe... you'll need to first, cut out the old stuff to where the pipe is flush with floor.... insert this into pipe (i'd throw a little vaseline on the rubber gasket).... then you'll anchor it to the floor.... then you tighten the 3 allen screws inside and that will expand the rubber gasket.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #13

toilet troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Re-piping???? When we moved here, I had the same problem. 2 plumbing pieces, a scrap of pipe and some cpvc glue and I fixed it.
Here's a pic of it. I still had the old one laying around. Lucky you!

DM
It really is a small revision. The brass pipe I used for the spout drop off the 4-way has no bend to it being brass. So I have to replace that with a copper pipe that I can bend and sweat on the elbow and male adapter fitting. I need to make a slight bend in the copper so that my tub spout will sit flush to the wall. I thought I was going to have to remount the toilet that I just installed but it turned out not to be a leaky seal, just my young son missing his target.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #14

toilet troubles

Thanks so much for all the opinions!
I agree that this wasn't ideal. The whole thing has been a big hassel. Basically, the fix was done to avoid drilling into the concrete floor.
We'll see what we can do.
Katigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #15

toilet troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber26 View Post
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1003&bih=403

This is what you'll need... They make them in 3'' and 4'' sizes (I don't prefer the 3'' b/c it decreases pipe diameter too much but, it'll work. It slides down into pipe... you'll need to first, cut out the old stuff to where the pipe is flush with floor.... insert this into pipe (i'd throw a little vaseline on the rubber gasket).... then you'll anchor it to the floor.... then you tighten the 3 allen screws inside and that will expand the rubber gasket.
I wished I knew about that fitting. That is the way to go. If you insist on building it up instead my brother in law had the same problem and he used a powder called "fix all" you mix with water. Then he spread it under the toilet and set the toilet on it. He shaped the stuff to the toilet and it looks ok. It looks like drywall mud but is much stronger He has lived in the house for 13 years now and it is still working.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote