Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet troubles

Hi All,
About a week ago we got stuck with a clogged toilet. I tried a plunger and an auger but it didn't help so today I removed the toilet to get a better look. I took it into the back yard and hosed it off, no clog. I looked in the drain pipe and there was a bit of nastiness there so I cleared it out. I ran a bit of water down the pipe and it didn't look like it was backing up so I reinstalled the toilet. Once it was reinstalled I flushed it once and everything looked good. Then I flushed it a second time and it won't flush (the water in the bowl doesn't clear.) The bowl will fill up very high but not over flow, but then gradually (over several hours) drain down to the bottom.
Twist number 1: Recently the bath tub in the neighboring bathroom has been draining more and more slowly. Today I ran a "zip-it" down the drain and pull out about 3-cats worth of my wife's hair. Even after that though, it is still draining very slowly.
Twist number 2: When I flush the toilet upstairs it causes the toilet downstairs (the clogged one) to gurgle fairly violently. Also, the toilet upstairs doesn't always clear the waste (some floats back up after the flush).
The thing is, nowhere else in the house is there a problem so I figure it isn't the main line. The gurgling makes me think there is a venting problem? The neighboring tub issue could be a coincidence but it seems more likely that the two a fore mentioned toilets and said tub are on the same drain line and that line is 90% clogged before it hits the main. Does this make sense? Do I just need to pull the toilet back out and snake it?

Thanks,
Nurdyguy

nurdyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #2
DIY staff

Toilet troubles

Pull the toilet and get that line rodded out--

not knowing what you plumbing configuration is--that's the best I can offer---more details needed.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #3

Toilet troubles

Thanks Mike.

Back info on the house:
We bought the house a couple of months ago from a guy who flipped it. From talking to the neighbors, there used to only be one downstairs bathroom. The flipper split it so that there is still a full bath downstairs (off the master bed) but also a hall toilet-only bathroom. This hall toilet is the one that won't flush and is also the new toilet that was added in the remodel. I'm not sure if any of that helps but there it is.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #4

Toilet troubles

I pulled the toilet and ran some chems down the pipe. It managed to clear the clog a bit (the shower now empties well) but if I use the toilet fill hose I can fill the pipe up so there is still a clog. It drains but somewhat slowly. So I ran a 1/2" (50' hand crank) auger down the drain and after much work I did manage to pull out what looked like a paper towel. The problem is, it's still clogging.

I forgot and used the upstairs toilet while the upstairs toilet while the downstairs was open and the downstairs pipe backed up and almost overflowed with brown water. Some of the backup looked fibrous like hair maybe.

I've spent another hour or so with the auger but it doesnt look like I'm making progress. Any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #5

Toilet troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurdyguy View Post
I pulled the toilet and ran some chems down the pipe. It managed to clear the clog a bit (the shower now empties well) but if I use the toilet fill hose I can fill the pipe up so there is still a clog. It drains but somewhat slowly. So I ran a 1/2" (50' hand crank) auger down the drain and after much work I did manage to pull out what looked like a paper towel. The problem is, it's still clogging.

I forgot and used the upstairs toilet while the upstairs toilet while the downstairs was open and the downstairs pipe backed up and almost overflowed with brown water. Some of the backup looked fibrous like hair maybe.

I've spent another hour or so with the auger but it doesnt look like I'm making progress. Any suggestions?
your just spinning your wheels..you need a an electric eel to unclog drain..call in a plumber...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #6

Toilet troubles

Thanks for the reply Ben. I was hoping to save some money but it looks like this one is over my head. Is it just a really really bad clog down below the downstairs toilet which is why the upstairs toilet backs up into when flushed?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
DIY staff

Toilet troubles

You need a real plumber--ask if they have a camera on the truck--

This sounds like a no permit flipper plumbing job----if the plumber thinks this id more than an ordinary slow drain--consider having him run a camera down the drain----might be a plumbing error caused by a novice flipper---
Old 07-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

Toilet troubles

first thing i ask a customer when there having drainage issues is are any of the toilets gurgling,when i hear yes 100% of the time it's a mainline stoppage.
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wctekkk For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (08-03-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #9

Toilet troubles

you are all right on...need main drain cleaned out... op don't feel bad sometimes we can't get it done on our own...this is out of your league as far as diy goes.... need to know how and where to run snake..and it can be very dangerous.. good call get a plumber....ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #10
DIY staff

Toilet troubles

Listen to Ben---
Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #11

Toilet troubles

Thanks guys, I'll call them today. Actually I think it'll be covered by the home warranty.

The Following User Says Thank You to nurdyguy For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-16-2012)