Toilet Trouble... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet trouble...

I have toilet in my basement bathroom (brand new) that will periodically continue to run after filling up. The weird thing is that one way to get it to stop running is to turn on the tap in the bathroom or kitchen sink. It stops instantly....

any ideas?

thanks!

Advertisement

nicholasadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 334

Toilet trouble...

take the top of the tank off and you will see a bobber attached to a valve. the valve may be clogged up with crud and may be malfunctioning. you can adjust the valve but flush it a few times and watch it as the water level nears the top, there should be a short succinct closing of the valve and stoppage of water flow.

Advertisement

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

Toilet trouble...

Do you think that turning on the tap is causing a releif in pressure allowing it to turn off?

Thanks, I'll take a look when I'm home from work
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet trouble...

The way a toilet inflow unit works is that the bobber drops when the water level in the tank is low (when you flush) - and that opens the inflow valve which allows water in.

When the tank fills then the bobber is raised - and triggers the inflow valve to shut, blocking the water.

When the inflow valve unit/pipe (etc - some fixtures are a little different) is clogged then it's not fully seating without help - either you opening the tank and jiggling or bumping the valve/bobber - or the water pressure is decreased from the line (by you turning on the faucet).

Sediment buildup is a real common occurance. So start simple: clean the bobber and valve unit first.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Toilet trouble...

I wouldn't bother trying to clean it.
A new fill valve cost under $10 at home cheapo and takes less than 5 minutes to install.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #6

Toilet trouble...

Is it unusual for This to happen to a brand new toilet?

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet trouble...

Was it dirty and in need of cleaning or is the problem still going on? If it responded to a cleaning then it might have been junk in the water line from water buildup or something from the factory.

If it's not junked up and this is still happening then try adjusting the height that the bobber/tension wand is set at - there's usually a screw mechanism or something of that sort that adjusts it.

If that doesn't do anything then turn down the pressure in the inlet hose just a little bit - might be that the water pressure is just a bit too much.

Advertisement