Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet too close to the wall...cover won't fit

The toilet in our 1854 home is too close to the wall. The lid won't fit on the tank. The previous owners simply gouged a hole in the wall that the lid slid into. I thought I would be able to replace old flange with an offset flange but it looks like I have cast iron flange and don't know how to get it off. Also, would an offset flange work? Do they make toilets that are smaller - maybe a new toilet would fit better?

Thanks Jennifer

Mrscoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hi Jennifer,

What measurement do you get when you measure from the finished wall to the middle of the bolts that hold down the toilet? If it's 12" then you're in luck as they make them with a 10" rough-in. Otherwise, do you have access to the drainage below the toilet? Do you have any pics that you could share so we could see your set-up?

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It looks like my rough in is only about 9.75. Drats. I am beginning to suspect they put new sheet rock on top of old wall and that may account for some of my problem. Most of the house is horse hair plaster but this bathroom has suspiciously newer walls...not to mention the sheet rock behind the toilet was not really set in well.

This toilet is on the 2nd floor...I don't think anything can be done from below.

this is starting to feel beyond my capabilities. Arg.

I have luncheon for a bunch of ladies soon and I really hoped the "view" would be better by then. The lid off the tank all the time is unpleasant. But the cats appreciate it.

I don't have pics yet. But will soon!

J
Mrscoyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flange, tank lid, toilet