Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet and tile problem

We tiled our floor in the bathroom and have replaced the toilet. The problem is that the tile under the corners of the toilet cracked with the pressure of the bolts to the toilet. It also cracked more when I sat on it to squash the wax ring down.

Is there anything I can put under the tile to stablize it after I replace the two tiles that cracked? Any type of wood or material that is better than another? Thanks for all your help!

Tammy

TJN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

Toilet and tile problem

If your tile is over a wood floor you absolutely must install concrete board over the wood then tile on top of it.

For do-it-yourselfers concrete backerboard (Durock® and WonderBoard® are two common brands) is one of the standard materials for floor tile underlayment. Concrete backerboard has a solid concrete core and is faced on both sides with fiberglass. It can't be damaged by water, which makes it ideal for bathroom and kitchen installations.
There are also variations made out of fiber cement (HardieBacker™ and Fiberock®) and specially finished water-resistant gypsum (DensShield®).

Also screw it down with the proper screws every 8 inches.

If you did not do the above your floor may last a few years.

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #3

Toilet and tile problem

Im sorry I was not clear.

We tore up the old floor to the sub floor, put down dura rock, pre fit the tiles, used thin set mortar, tiled the floor, waiting 24 hours then grouted the floor, waited another 24 hours and re installed the toilet.

The problem is that the tile cracked right on the edge where the toilet is sitting on the tile. Im not sure why it cracked as there is durarock under it.

Is there anything I can do to reinforce it so it doesnt crack more. We are thinking that we need to rip up the two tiles that cracked and replaced them. So while we have them ripped up is there anything esle we can up under to make it a bit stronger so they dont crack again?
Thanks!
Tammy
Old 08-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Toilet and tile problem

Can you post a picture with toilet pulled?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #5

Toilet and tile problem

I can tomorrow. We have not pulled it back up yet, as we got it put back into place late tonight.
Tammy
Old 08-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Retired Army Veteran

Toilet and tile problem

How was the toilet flange installed? On top of dura rock and tiled to it, subfloor, or on top of the tile? Please post a pic tomorrow when toilet is pulled. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 08-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

Toilet and tile problem

Did you securely fasten the toilet flange to the wood sub floor?

I mis read your original sorry about that.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #8

Toilet and tile problem

We think we have figured the problem out. The flange sits too low after the tile installation. We are going to get a flange extender and repair the broken tiles. Too much pressure on the tiles from the toilet too we think. When we pull it tomorrow I will post a pic of it.
Never thought about the flange being too low. We got a wax ring that was specially made to go with a new tile installation and was higher. I guess it was not high enough!
Thanks for all your help. I really want to use the set-rite kit but I dont see it available around here. Going to see what is available local first.
Tammy
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #9

Toilet and tile problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJN66 View Post
We tiled our floor in the bathroom and have replaced the toilet. The problem is that the tile under the corners of the toilet cracked with the pressure of the bolts to the toilet. It also cracked more when I sat on it to squash the wax ring down.

Is there anything I can put under the tile to stablize it after I replace the two tiles that cracked? Any type of wood or material that is better than another? Thanks for all your help!

Tammy
So, you bolted the toilet down- then sat on it to compress the wax?
Or, did you set the flange on top the tile and it cracked- then it cracked more after setting the toilet?
Which is it? I'm confused
Old 08-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #10

Toilet and tile problem

We bolted the toilet down, heard a crack(when the tile cracked) then sat on it to compress the wax. The flange is below the tile that we just laid. Sorry for the confusion. I forget you cant see what I see!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #11

Toilet and tile problem

I see no benefit to raising the flange height in your case.

The toilet should sit evenly on the floor. The bowl wax will be evenly compressed to make up the difference between the flange surface and the toilet horn recess.

The flange can be below the tile- with a properly sized bowl wax it won't be an issue.
I suspect you have something else going on with you floor. I've set many a toilet on new tile with the flange at about every height you can imagine and haven't cracked the floor tile- awaiting a picture...
jmon (08-23-2013), joecaption (08-25-2013), oh'mike (08-25-2013), plummen (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

Toilet and tile problem

sounds to me like the tile lacked support where the toilet rested on it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (08-25-2013)
Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #13

Toilet and tile problem

Sorry I am just getting back to you.
Danny that was it. The tile was not supported like we thought. We pulled up the 2 cracked ones, reinforced under it, and now it is perfect!
Thanks for the help everyone. I cant seem to figure out how to post pics yet. Soon I hope =)
Tammy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJN66 For This Useful Post:
jmon (08-25-2013), oh'mike (08-25-2013)