Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #1

Share |

A toilet tank that's a pain to remove?

See attached photos. The previous homeowner was moronic enough to install the wide tubs used in a 2 piece master bath (separate tub & shower) as the tub base of a tub/shower in 1 common in the hall baths. And I was moronic enough to buy the house (which has it's good points too, not all bad).

The toilet tank bolts are rusted. In such cramped quarters I'd assume it'd be a bit of a pain to remove. Just wanted your thoughts.

Even replacing the whole toilet could be a pain, but I don't want a major bath remodel yet to swap out the tub with a proper one, and don't want to replace toilet either. Just need to replace bolts, washers, & fill valve.

And to top it off, the shut off valve seems to be "stuck".

I'm thinking of calling a plumber to swap out the toilet parts (keeping toilet & tub for now) as well as replacing the "stuck" angle stop with new one so I can easily shut off w/o shutting off main water supply.

Will this be a painful job for the plumber or he'd have the tools and this still be not too bad a job (minor pain in the a**)?
Attached Thumbnails
A toilet tank that's a pain to remove?-dsc01174s.jpg   A toilet tank that's a pain to remove?-dsc01175s.jpg  

daluu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #2
registered

You might have to cut them. Or if you plan on scraping the toilet. Heat them up.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
plummen (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #3

If the flange bolts are not rusted I would remove the entire toilet and take it outside strip it completely and rebuild the entire toilet and reinstall it.

You might be able to get a multi tool with a metal cutting blade to cut and remove the tank bolts.
plummen (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #4

Is there any gap between the bowl and tank? Some of them will have just enough that you can slide a sawzall blade in there and saw the bolt in two.
plummen (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #5

you will have to cut them ..mini hack or sawzall....ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #6

To remove the rusted bolts, using a bit about the diameter of the bolt or slightly smaller they can be drilled from the top (inside the tank) taking care to keep the bit fairly well centered.

To make the stop valve work again, shut the water supply main valve, remove pressure and then remove the bonnet nut. Screw the valve stem out, clean and lubricate threads with a water proof plumber's grease, re-assemble and when you feel the rubber washer touch the seat STOP turning. Tighter isn't necessary and usually screws them up big time.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #7

dont waste money on those old toilet, just change it completely, they sold for under 100$
repair kits for your toilet may cost up to 50$ and you will probably have to remove your toilet to repair it since you have no work space
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmusic For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

What repair kit for toilet? Toilet looks fine except for worn washers, bolts, and fill valve. Toilet itself seems fine.

But interesting today that I notice the right side bolt seems to have something to cushion the tank to the bowl, like some rod nested by the bolt as seen in this photo. Not sure why it's there. I don't think that's normal setup. Perhaps missing parts or it didn't align well so hence the rod to help with alignment. I couldn't see the left side with the limited space around there, whether it had such a rod too or not.

I'd prefer not to have to replace the toilet if I don't have to, minimize expenses. If I go more all out, might as well remodel the bathroom correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
A toilet tank that's a pain to remove?-dsc01183s.jpg  
daluu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

That rubber cushion is normal on some toilets. Yours is deteriorated- needs new ones.
As stated earlier, if you want to rebuild the toilet, take it outside so you have room to work on it
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
plummen (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 02:46 AM   #10
registered

Menards currently have an american standard champion 4 on sale for 188. Throw this one in the garbage and go buy it. I seen it on TV just a minute ago.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #11

Toilets do not wear out. Ever. The only rational reason to replace one is if it has been fractured or you just plain don't like the looks of it. All the parts can be bought for well under the cost of a whole new toilet.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Bill Kearney

See what the parts might cost, could be close. I'd avoid replacing it unless

a) you don't like the looks of that model
b) it's an old water-waster or one of the first low-flow models, new ones are much better
c) it doesn't do a great job of flushing.

I replaced two in the old house because neither did a great job flushing and one was among the first models of the 1.6g models. We called it the "slot machine" because whenever you operated the handle you never knew if it'd flush everything down or clog up. I switched to two new Kohler models and never had to use the plunger again.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #13

Get solid brass bolts. You can see what happens to the plated steel ones.
ask tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Toilets do not wear out. Ever.
OH, but hard water deposits on inaccessible places can make you believe they are worn out.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #15

maybe toilet doenst wear out, but everything in it wear out and it cost almost the same as a new toilet to repair it and new toilet have better design and they takes 2-3 times less water than the one that the OP have, my old toilet was a 20L, new one i buyed for 100$ was a dual flush 4.1/6L even the city give me back 50$ since it takes less water

carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote