Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Toilet tank doesnt fill up

Hey everyone so since last couple days my toilet tanks fills up but then it starts leaking water into the bowl by itself so i believe the problem is the flapper valve that covers the hole from the bowl to the tank. See pics below. I have no idea how to replace this flapper valve . i would appreciate if someone can tell me how to take it out . do i need to replace it with the same flapper valve?

Last edited by GanJa; 11-07-2012 at 01:31 AM.
GanJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #2

That big round black disc just snaps on the bottom of the float. It needs replacing. Sometimes they are hard to get off, but they do just snap on. It's easier to do if you take the whole float assembly out. I usually just take a flat screwdriver or a pocket knife and carefully ease one side of the float axle out of where it swivels, then you can take it out.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 11-07-2012 at 03:34 AM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I would replace it with one of these.
http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-products/flappers.html

Did you disconnect that white line from the flush valve? It belongs just above the fill tube not just laying in the tank.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #4

i'll be going to home depot today and buy that black rubber disc thing so hopefully it will solve this problem now in my other washroom toilet the problem is that most of the time toilet doesnt flush all the way hence some of the stuff stays there and i have to flush it again so i read and someone told me problem could be not enuff water in tank which i checked and its not up to the water line mentioned in tank as u can see in pics below so can i adjust the floating thing so the water fills up to the water line. Also in this same toilet water takes forever to fill up the tank so how can i increase the water pressure so it fills up faster?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #5

Yes you can adjust the fill level by turning the adjustment screw at the top of the float arm.
If it's slow filling, likely the problem is the rubber diaphragm in the fluidmaster fill valve needs replacing. (fluidmaster part number 242). Available at any hardware store, plumbing place, home depot, or lowes.
Easy to do.
They cost usually less than 2 bucks and you can replace it with no tools. The instructions are on the back of the package. It's about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger. They get hard and brittle after a couple of years and don't work as they should, causing a very slow fill. I doubt there's anything wrong with the pressure but it's not a bad idea to take supply line loose at the toilet and run a bit of water thru it in case there's any sediment in it. Same for the diaphragm while you have it off (just hold a cup over the top of the fill valve and turn the water on briefly).

Can't tell by the pix, but the hose coming from the fill valve should feed water down into the white upright tube.
And yes, the fill level should be just about an inch below the top of the tube when full. Looks like that will put you up to the fill line on the tank.

After that, if you are not getting a complete flush, take the end of a wire coat hanger and clean out all the little holes under the toilet rim and the big hole at the bottom front. (this is where the water comes out when you flush) They do get buildup on them after a while and won't allow a complete flush.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 11-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Yes you can adjust the fill level by turning the adjustment screw at the top of the float arm.
If it's slow filling, likely the problem is the rubber diaphragm in the fluidmaster fill valve needs replacing. (fluidmaster part number 242). Available at any hardware store, plumbing place, home depot, or lowes.
Easy to do.
They cost usually less than 2 bucks and you can replace it with no tools. The instructions are on the back of the package. It's about the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger. They get hard and brittle after a couple of years and don't work as they should, causing a very slow fill. I doubt there's anything wrong with the pressure but it's not a bad idea to take supply line loose at the toilet and run a bit of water thru it in case there's any sediment in it. Same for the diaphragm while you have it off (just hold a cup over the top of the fill valve and turn the water on briefly).

Can't tell by the pix, but the hose coming from the fill valve should feed water down into the white upright tube.
And yes, the fill level should be just about an inch below the top of the tube when full. Looks like that will put you up to the fill line on the tank.

After that, if you are not getting a complete flush, take the end of a wire coat hanger and clean out all the little holes under the toilet rim and the big hole at the bottom front. (this is where the water comes out when you flush) They do get buildup on them after a while and won't allow a complete flush.
thx for replying
r u talking abt this: http://www.amazon.ca/Fluidmaster-242.../dp/B00002N6MK
it looks similar to the flapper
where exactly is that quarter size thing located? can u point it on the pics i posted? i am not sure how to replace this

@bold Yes

Last edited by GanJa; 11-08-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanJa View Post
thx for replying
where exactly is that quarter size thing located? can u point it on the pics i posted?
Turn the water supply off to the toilet. Look at the top of the fill valve unit. That black plastic cap (that the float arm goes under) just snaps on and off. (sometimes they are stubborn). The diaphragm is under it. Once you get the cap off, rotate the arm about 1/4 turn (counterclockwise i believe) and it will lift up and out. The diaphragm is under it. Just pull it out. Put a cup over the top of the valve (while the diaphragm is out) and turn the water on momentarily to flush out any debris, then turn the water back off,put in the new diaphragm and replace the parts. Turn the water back on.
And you're welcome, come back if you have any problems!

and yes, that link picture is of the diaphragm, but it's an exploded view. It's actually not much larger than a quarter. And that is actually a picture of the part. You'll see when you get the old one out. Good luck.

edit: i just had to put one in today. Actually the black cap does not have to come off. Just rotate the float arm 1/4 turn CCW and the top of the assembly will lift off with the cap still on it. The diaphragm will be inside the bottom of the piece that lifts off.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 11-09-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Turn the water supply off to the toilet. Look at the top of the fill valve unit. That black plastic cap (that the float arm goes under) just snaps on and off. (sometimes they are stubborn). The diaphragm is under it. Once you get the cap off, rotate the arm about 1/4 turn (counterclockwise i believe) and it will lift up and out. The diaphragm is under it. Just pull it out. Put a cup over the top of the valve (while the diaphragm is out) and turn the water on momentarily to flush out any debris, then turn the water back off,put in the new diaphragm and replace the parts. Turn the water back on.
And you're welcome, come back if you have any problems!

and yes, that link picture is of the diaphragm, but it's an exploded view. It's actually not much larger than a quarter. And that is actually a picture of the part. You'll see when you get the old one out. Good luck.

edit: i just had to put one in today. Actually the black cap does not have to come off. Just rotate the float arm 1/4 turn CCW and the top of the assembly will lift off with the cap still on it. The diaphragm will be inside the bottom of the piece that lifts off.
thx a lot for replying so first problem is in my other toilet is solved where i had to changed the flapper so tank water is not leaking randomly in toilet.

Now in my other toilet where tanks take forever to fill so i found out that my main shutoff toilet valve has gone bad like i even bought the little quarter size thing u told me abt so as i gone on to shut off the valve it would shutoff so definitely the problem is the valve that is causing the low pressure so how can i go on to change the valve?

heres the pic:

Last edited by GanJa; 11-10-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Shut off main water supply. Flush the toilet. Disconnect the water line and unscrew the old valve. Have a towel ready a small amount of water is going to leak out.
While you out buying a new valve also buy a new stainless steel supply line to get rid of that old Quest line.
Make sure to measure the length you need, they come in three differant lengths.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Shut off main water supply. Flush the toilet. Disconnect the water line and unscrew the old valve. Have a towel ready a small amount of water is going to leak out.
While you out buying a new valve also buy a new stainless steel supply line to get rid of that old Quest line.
Make sure to measure the length you need, they come in three differant lengths.
thx for replying also how do i knw what kind of valve do i need?