Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

toilet takes to long to fill

My toilet will flush very well. Once it has removed all the water from the tank and the flapper falls, the tank will take 10 to 12 minutes to fill. The bowl will fill up fine, however water can be seen still coming out of the jet hole at bottom of bowl. Also, water slowly runs out of the fill holes located around the rim of the bowl. I think the toilet is unlevel and the siphoning action of the drain is not being cut off thus allowing the bowl to keep draining. The bowl stays at a constant level during the 10 -12 minute tank fill duration. When the tank is completely filled the level in the bowl drops about an inch to a normal level. The toilet bowl doesn't drain any after the tank is full nor does the tank drain until the next time the toilet is used. I know it is not the flapper, something is wrong with the siphoning of our toilet.

lonewolf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #2

lonewolf,
water SHOULD be coming out the small holes while the tank is filling. if it continues running out these holes, after the tank is filled (and the water has shut off), then like it or not, the flapper is likely the problem, unless the water level in the tank is set too high. Make sure the water level is set about an inch below the top of the fill tube. The toilet does need to be pretty level, but i can't imagine that being your problem. I'm not sure what "siphoning action of the drain " means, but once the bowl reaches a certain level, it will stay there during the rest of the fill (even though water is still running into it). The water level in the bowl does not affect the water level in the tank --in any way.

If it's taking 10-12 minutes to fill, (and if it's a fluidmaster fill valve), the rubber seal in the mechanism needs replacing (5 minute job-no tools required), or possibly some crud partially stopping up the line. You didn't say if it's running wide open during the fill or not, but i'm assuming it's not, and it's a very slow, small stream.

Last edited by Lightfoot; 09-16-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 AM   #3

Obligatory question. Is the shutoff valve on the water line feeding the tank all the way open?
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #4

Yes, the toilet is running wide open. If i take the hose out of the overflow tube and let pour into the tank it only takes 30 seconds to fill. Lightfoot had thought is was a slow stream, but no it is full blast. More info to use: I flush, toilet bowl fills back up immediately, tank takes forever, water can be heard draining during the refill process, I pour food coloring in toilet bowl as toilet is refilling, food coloring quickly disappears as it hit the bottom of toilet and jet hole. During the whole refill process water is draining from the bowl. Not enough to where it looks like its flushing though.
lonewolf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

Lone,
what brand of fill valve is it?
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #6

This is for Lightfoot:

"If it's taking 10-12 minutes to fill, (and if it's a fluidmaster fill valve), the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue ! important]rubber [COLOR=blue ! important]seal[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] in the mechanism needs replacing (5 minute job-no tools required), or possibly some crud partially stopping up the line. You didn't say if it's running wide open during the fill or not, but i'm assuming it's not, and it's a very slow, small stream."

Could you explain to me how to replace the rubber seal in the mechanism? I think this may be my problem.

Thanks

jennifergib7 is offline   Reply With Quote