Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #1

Share |

Toilet still leaks

Hi everyone, I'm new here so I apologize if this has already been answered. I tried searching for it a bit but didn't find anything.

I've had a toilet that was leaking for a while and can't seem to figure out the problem. About a month ago, I replaced the flapper. The toilet continued to leak. I figured out the problem was that the flapper wasn't sitting correctly on the flush valve. If I stuck my hand in there and pushed it down, a little to the side, it would stop it from leaking. About a week ago I replaced the whole insides, new fill valve, new flush valve, new flapper, everything (except the lever but I assume that is irrelevant). After this, the toilet still leaks. This time, it isn't leaking as frequently but I if I push down on the flapper I can't get it to stop. Any thoughts?

Last edited by pigpenosu; 07-14-2013 at 12:48 AM.
pigpenosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Architectural Sculptor

Toilet still leaks

Yes I have thoughts
I had a problem with mine running into the overflow, it was a headache and changing the guts with the usual float ball, even the brass assembly only fixed it for a while- hard water.

So in Dec 2011 I bought the Fluidmaster 400C Toilet Tank Repair Kit:

kit includes: Model Nos. 400A anti-siphon code approved valve and 501 "Bull's Eye Super Flapper" for a complete toilet repair.

Adjustable Toilet Tank Repair Kit With Bullseye Flapper And Model 400 Anti-Siphon Ballcock, Visual Pack.

I haven't had any trouble with the toilet since then, this one comes with a lot of good reviews for stopping troublesome toilets.
This kit comes with everything and was real easy to install.

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #3

Toilet still leaks

Did you by chance clean the seat where the flapper closes on to? There could be a build up of mineral or other material on that surface that is allowing water to pass by.

Shut the water off, flush the water out of the tank, lift the flapper and run your finger along the seat that the flapper closes on. If it feels slimy or rough, clean it and try again. Cleaning can be done with a rough cloth, greeny (scotch brite) or other non-abrasive item. Not a good idea to clean it with anything abrasive as you might make micro-groves that will remove the problem and create a new one.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old_squid For This Useful Post:
pigpenosu (07-17-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

Toilet still leaks

I guess I should have included the model. It was the Fluidmaster 400 AKR. It does have an adjustable flapper, appears to be Flapper 502.

I did try and clean the previous one, I did not think of cleaning this one as it is brand new. I just tried it, will let you know if it works.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #5

Toilet still leaks

when you say it still leaks do you mean that water still goes from the tank to the bowl when the toilet isn't being used? does the toilet refill the tank every 20 mins or so?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Toilet still leaks

Probably something stuck inside of the diaphragm of the fill valve.

Turn off the water to the toilet, lift the lever, and rotate the cap on the fill valve.

Look inside and find some debris, and carefully remove it.

Replace the fill valve cap in the opposite order it was removed.
pigpenosu (07-17-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Architectural Sculptor

Toilet still leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpenosu View Post
I guess I should have included the model. It was the Fluidmaster 400 AKR. It does have an adjustable flapper, appears to be Flapper 502.

I did try and clean the previous one, I did not think of cleaning this one as it is brand new. I just tried it, will let you know if it works.

No idea then, the fluidmaster completely solved MY problem after having replaced the guts twice before and cleaned it many times, maybe your tank has some small factory defect there you haven't noticed and no flapper is going to seal it.
Leaking around the flapper wouldn't surprise me, my issue was lyme would prevent the float ball's seal from sealing the water inlet off completely, and no matter how many times I cleaned it out it would leak again after a month or two. The Fluidmaster float works differently and seems to have more power to snap shut the inlet valve once it reaches some kind of pivot point, and that action completely shuts the water off everuy time.

For the $10 it cost me, it was a much better fix than those lousy kits you get at the hardware store by the usual Lasko brand.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
pigpenosu (07-17-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #8

Toilet still leaks

I did try and clean it and it did not work so the problem still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
when you say it still leaks do you mean that water still goes from the tank to the bowl when the toilet isn't being used? does the toilet refill the tank every 20 mins or so?
Danny, that is exactly what I mean. Runs may have been a better way to describe it. I did put food coloring in to verify that it was doing this and not something else that I was missing. With the old set up, it was about a 2 second refill, not it is about a 1 second refill.

Alan, this is a brand new fill valve. Although I'm a little confused by what you are saying, I don't think that is it unless something happened the first time the tank filled up.

Wolff, there is a warranty so I can try and get it replaced with fluidmaster, however I have a feeling something else is going on. Although I am not a pro by any means I assume that water leaking from the tank to the bowl would only be caused by a seal between the flapper and the flush valve. Based on what you are saying I guess I can see the problem being between the Flush Valve and the tank. They were specific in the directions on how much to tighten the flush valve, hand tight then 1/2 turn beyond. Could it be possible that I need to tighten it beyond that? I assume over tightening would cause problems so I may contact fluidmaster before I try that and possibly void any warranty.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

Toilet still leaks

is the refill tube from the valve attached to the top of the overflow tube with the little clip and not just inserted down into it?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
pigpenosu (07-17-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #10

Toilet still leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
is the refill tube from the valve attached to the top of the overflow tube with the little clip and not just inserted down into it?
Yes it is. Everything was done per the instructions that were provided. Including marking where the water level was previously, and cutting the overflow pipe down to size. Then the fill valve was adjusted to be at a specific level according to the height of the fill flush valve.

After of a couple of days and trouble shooting on and off the only thing that I can think of that may outside of a faulty kit is that there is not enough water on top of the flapper to hold it down (which I don't think is the issue, plenty of water on top but just trying to think outside of the obvious) or the large plastic locknut that connects the flush valve to the tank is not tightened correctly. Anyone see either of these before?
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
Retired Army Veteran

Toilet still leaks

Just a suggestion. Can you possibly adjust flapper chain (F) to give flapper (E) a better seal (G)? If you say it stops leaking when you push down on the flapper, I would think your problem would be in that area. Try moving the chain to another hole so flapper is directly over the opening and not off to one side or the other. Make sure your chain has a little slack in it as well. Another possibility, when you installed new flush valve (D), the flush valve maybe too loose causing the flapper not to seal properly. Or as someone mentioned above, maybe flush valve has a defect causing flapper not to seal properly. I don't know, just guesssing. You could recheck your work and make sure it's tight, but do not overtighten it. Just a thought.

Is any water leaking from outside the toilet tank onto the floor (small hairline crack, missing washer, washer installed wrong, flush valve not tight, tank itself not tightened down evenly, flapper not positioned correctly, etc.)? IMO, sounds like something is causing your flapper not to seat poperly. Could just need a little adjusting.

Last edited by jmon; 07-15-2013 at 08:29 PM.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
pigpenosu (07-17-2013), RWolff (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Toilet still leaks

Wondering if my posts are invisible....

Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #13

Toilet still leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wondering if my posts are invisible....

And who are you?

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #14
Doing it myself

Toilet still leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
And who are you?
Don't tell me you're wondering why I haven't been posting here.

Re-read this thread, and find out the answer.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
Doing it myself

Toilet still leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
If you say it stops leaking when you push down on the flapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpenosu
but I if I push down on the flapper I can't get it to stop.

jmon (07-16-2013)