Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet Still Leaking After Replacing Gasket, Bolts, Fill Valve, Flush Valve

Hi, I am hoping you can help me troubleshoot a problem I am having.

The initial symptom was water leaking when the toilet was flushed: the water was leaking only when the toilet was actually being flushed, and a small amount of water would dribble from between the water tank and the body of the toilet onto the floor. This led me to believe the gasget needed to be replaced.

That is the symptom currently still, after I have replaced the following with brand new parts:

* A new gasket. (between the water tank and the main body of the toilet)

* A new fill valve (a Fluidmaster 400a, same as was previously installed)

* All new tank nuts, bolts, and rubber washers.

* A new flush valve.

There are no other symptoms present. Water is not leaking inside the toilet. Water is not running in the toilet. I replaced the other parts as they were older, to stave off any future problems from developing.

I have tried two different types of gaskets, but the other type of gasket was too high/tall and did not appear to be the right fit. This one seems like the right fit and my local hardware shop that has been very good with helping me with DIY repairs showed me a third choice, and the third one would have been too thick also. I think I have the right gasket.

I tightened everything down as much as I could ...

What could I have missed?

I took it apart four times and reassembled four times. Cannot find what I am doing wrong.

I do not know the make and model of this toilet, other than it was circa around 1986 when my home was built. There is nothing legible inside the toilet tank, no legible stamp to make out, so we went by the shape of the opening, the old gasket, and by photos of my toilet and the hole where the gasget had been to pick a new gasget. The old gasget was very deteriorated and compressed from its original shape, so it was difficult to picture what it must have originally looked like.

I read somewhere that sometimes gasgets need to be sealed with pressure. I did not seal this one with pressure. I fitted it onto the end of the flush valve, then placed the porcelain tank in position on the body of the toilet.

Thank you in advance for any insight or ideas.

wheeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,092

Sometimes those universal seals don't always work so well. It is too bad you can't make out the name and brand of toilet. Well, you will have to take it apart one more time and hopefully it will be your last time. When you do, please post some pics of the seal you are trying to install and tank&bowl so the guys can give you some better advice. Couple of suggestions;

Toilet tank could be cracked - but I doubt it.

The seal between the tank and the base is not that easy to install. Things that can go wrong: the seal wasn't positioned correctly, and/or the bolts were tightened too tight and/or the seal is bad. Wrong seal for tank & bowl. Buy a better seal and follow the installation directions exactly.

Recommend new tank to bowl kit as well. Take all your old parts to ace hardware try to match them up the best you can.

Are you sure you have the seal installed correctly? Sometimes they get installed backwards and they will leak no matter how hard you tightened it. Are you alternating while tightening?

Here's a link you can read while were waiting for the experts to arrive.

link here

Last edited by jmon; 04-17-2013 at 08:14 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
wheeee (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #3

Thanks, jmon. I will post a couple of pics. The pics I have are not that great. I snapped them in a hurry and they do not show the new gasget attached. They show the old, mangled gasget which was so distorted it is hard to tell what the original shape was.

There was no front or back to this seal. It was pretty straightforward with the design. One could install it upside down, I suppose, but I do not think I did that.

So maybe the problem was that I purchased a universal gasget. I tried to install the gasget correctly, as I have never done this before. I tried to seat it properly, positioning it directly over the hole.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

The two pics are attached. The new gasket I installed is not red. It was by PlumbPak and is part # PP835-53.

I googled it and found photos of it online but they look black. The gasget I got does not look black; it looks more like a light grey.

I fit it around the flush valve, then carefully placed the water tank onto the body of the toilet.

The toilet flushes properly, but, as before, a small amount of water drips out between the water tank and the body of the toilet.

Here is a link if someone wants to see what this looks like, but it is very hard to view from this photograph.

http://www.hassonhomecenter.com/brow...odstoreid=9829
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Still Leaking After Replacing Gasket, Bolts, Fill Valve, Flush Valve-toilet1.jpg   Toilet Still Leaking After Replacing Gasket, Bolts, Fill Valve, Flush Valve-toilet2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,212

Being this is only happening when flushed make certain the problem isn't condensation rather than a leak.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
wheeee (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Being this is only happening when flushed make certain the problem isn't condensation rather than a leak.
Thank you. How would I differentiate between the two? I do not see any visible condensation on the tank.

The amount of water is at least a cup every flush? which is why I was thinking it is a leak.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

Here are two more pix. In the first one, you can see the new toilet parts installed. The new tank bolts/rubber washers, new fill valve, new flush valve.

Note: It may look like there is some legible writing on the interior body of the water tank, but I cannot make anything out.

The second pic is of the entire toilet assembled.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Still Leaking After Replacing Gasket, Bolts, Fill Valve, Flush Valve-toilet3.jpg   Toilet Still Leaking After Replacing Gasket, Bolts, Fill Valve, Flush Valve-toilet4.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeee View Post
Thank you. How would I differentiate between the two? I do not see any visible condensation on the tank.

The amount of water is at least a cup every flush? which is why I was thinking it is a leak.
Condensation is very doubtful with that amount.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Retired Army Veteran

Not much of the old seal left. Do you have a hardware store like ace? Or local plumbing supply store? Take what you got to hardware/plumbing store and try to match it up the best you can. I don't think you'll have much luck with lowes/HD. Maybe.

I agree with you. pretty sure it's coming from tank and bowl seal, However, could it be possibly leaking from the bolts? They have seals to. Did you replace those?
Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
Retired Army Veteran

Nice pics wheee - thanks a bunch. Those bolts look new with white seals on them. Just wanted to make sure water wasn't leaking from them.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Not much of the old seal left. Do you have a hardware store like ace? Or local plumbing supply store? Take what you got to hardware/plumbing store and try to match it up the best you can. I don't think you'll have much luck with lowes/HD. Maybe.

I agree with you. pretty sure it's coming from tank and bowl seal, However, could it be possibly leaking from the bolts? They have seals to. Did you replace those?
Yep; I have a local, non-chain store I deal with, and I took in the old gasget and matched it up already. (Although it was a universal gasget, not specific to my toilet, model unknown.) Unless you mean another store might have a better selection?

I already replaced the bolts. Everything inside the tank is new (except the handle).

No water is leaking from the bolts.

Last edited by wheeee; 04-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post

I agree with you. pretty sure it's coming from tank and bowl seal, However, could it be possibly leaking from the bolts?
The reason why I do not think it is not leaking from the bolts is that it is not a constant leak.

The leak only occurs when I flush the toilet.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 584

you need the thick gasket, also washers are in the wrong place for the toilet bolts, toilet looks like an old gerber??

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
jmon (04-17-2013), wheeee (04-17-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
you need the thick gasket,
I tried a thicker gasket, but it made the water tank rock backward and forward and sit up really high. It still produced a leak. I still have that gasket. I will attach a photo.

Quote:
also washers are in the wrong place for the toilet bolts
Hmmm. In case my photo isn't clear (I can't tell) the washers are placed as follows: rubber is next to the porcelain, covering the hole. Then the stainless steel washer is under the bolt, on top of the rubber.

Should the steel be on the bottom instead, then, (the steel next to the hole) and the rubber be on top next to the bolt?

Quote:
toilet looks like an old gerber??
Thanks. I was just trying to identify the toilet on other websites. Will check Gerber and see if I can find my style of toilet. I have two toilets, identical, and one of them appears to have "Moreland" written in it --though I could not swear to it, as it is very faint; will have to look at it again -- but I cannot find any reference to the style of "Moreland" online.

Last edited by wheeee; 04-17-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #15

Here is a pic of the toilet gasket that I am not using at the moment. I tried this one, but it did not seem to work and I removed it. It seemed too thick and the water tank rocked forward and backward, even though I tightened it down as much as I could.

The gasket currently on the toilet is thinner than the one in the photo. It seems to fit better than the gasket in the photo, as I was able to firmly tighten the water tank to the toilet body. However, it did not solve the leaking issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet Still Leaking After Replacing Gasket, Bolts, Fill Valve, Flush Valve-toilet_gasket1.jpg  

Last edited by wheeee; 04-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Tags
gasket, leaking gasket, leaking toilet, toilet leak, toilet repair