Toilet Spacing Issues... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet spacing issues...

Good Evening,

I recently closed on a house and am in the process of finishing the basement. I had the plumbing roughed-in into the concrete, but it seems the installer did not do me any favors. By the time I put in the shower pan and toilet into the location required by the placement of the pipes, I will only have 14” to the left of the centerline of the toilet to the finished wall/shower and 16” to the right to the vanity (see first 2 pics). What is not built yet is another 2" of wall that needs to be there to handle the shower walls. I have read up a lot on this and I know what the code says. 30” total and 15” on either side of centerline of the toilet to finished surfaces.

I have a bathroom (last picture) in my daughter’s bedroom that is identical in layout and dimensions to the one that I am putting into the basement. The toilet there is sandwiched in between the shower/wall and the vanity with a total of 28”, 14” in either side. This seemed to pass code no problem with the inspector, if he checked that close.

I have contacted the code department here, but the inspector is a contractor that does not work there. I showed them the pictures and they said the “should” not be a problem. They don’t know plumbing very well and am concerned.

What is the consensus from the experts here if I install this with only 14” to spare? Only 12” of the toilet length will be at 14” as there is a false wall that encloses the shower.

Thanks in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet spacing issues...-basement-bathroom-1.jpg   Toilet spacing issues...-basement-bathroom-2.jpg   Toilet spacing issues...-finished-bathroom.jpg  

Advertisement

KC10KEVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Toilet spacing issues...

My opinion is you should be ok. I have run into this before and most inspectors will not make you tear up the concrete for 1". Now if it were say a commercial job and it was to be ADA, then yes, they would make you move it. If you want, get an off-set flange. This will get your 1' back, or you can center it up better than what it is. The off-set flange can be gotten anywhere. Just set it on, spin it untill it gets right, then mark the flang and pipe. Just be sure to remain 12-1/2" off the studs in back of the toilet, or 12" off the sheetrock so the toilet will fit from rear to center.

Advertisement

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Toilet spacing issues...

I wouldn't make you move it at final, but we'd be talking about an offset flange at rough-in. Code is code, but nobody ever died because the toilet had 14" instead of 15". If they call you on it, they're justified though.

USP45's right...In a commercial building where ADA is applicable, this is a no-brainer.

Man, you've bagged on these inspectors in three threads on this site tonight! Sounds like they're non-commital, but please understand that a lot of people try to get inspectors to commit to something before they can see it at the actual inspection. I will always tell someone what the code says if they call and ask, but I won't give something like a 14" side clearance on a toilet away until I am on site and can see the big picture. I can't do inspections over the phone or standing in my office, and will rarely agree to something ahead of time if I haven't laid eyes on it already. You might want to consider that their silence might be for the same reason and give them a chance to work with you on the inspection before assuming that they're all idiots.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet spacing issues...

thekctermite - thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate your response to the code folks here in town. I do understand that they have a tough job and get questions all the time. The problem I have is that they do not have a plumbing inspector on staff and even question to the electrical inspector are met with "that 'should' be ok." I take pictures of all questions I have from several angles and perspectives with me if I have a question.

You mentioned that you quote code to people who ask questions. These folks don;t seem to know the code very well or are just very lax about following it as you mentioned in one of my electrical posts.

I didn;t mean to "bag" on them tonight. I have just been a little frustrated with the whole process so far.

I'll try to tone it down in the future.

Thanks again,

Kevin
KC10KEVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Toilet spacing issues...

Sounds like there's no need to tone down! I'm just spring-loaded to come to their defense I suppose. But, I know a lot of inspectors that really don't have a good working knowledge of the code, but get by on loud mouths and attitude (I know tons of builders that are like that too). It is unfortunate. What is more unfortunate is that you're paying for the permit so they ensure that your work is safe, and perhaps these guys you're dealing with aren't capable or don't care. Or perhaps, the politicians/city management have them on a leash that is so tight they can't do their job effectively...It happens more than you'd think. A lot of politician-types don't want the phonecalls that effective building inspectors often generate.

Anyhow, message me if you need anything. I'll try to help in any way I can.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote