Toilet - Slow Flush - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet - Slow Flush

Toilet on main level of my house flushes very slowly (doesn't always go down, goes slowly).

http://youtu.be/CglMuGVPC0o

A plumber using a hand crank sewer snake returned nothing (you'll see the rust mark in the video), and he suggested buying a new toilet from him for $500 (something about mineral deposits eroding at the toilet bowl over time).

Any ideas on additional things I should rule out before splurging on a new toilet?

Thanks!

Sean

Advertisement

Irishman Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Toilet - Slow Flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman Sean View Post
Toilet on main level of my house flushes very slowly (doesn't always go down, goes slowly).

http://youtu.be/CglMuGVPC0o

A plumber using a hand crank sewer snake returned nothing (you'll see the rust mark in the video), and he suggested buying a new toilet from him for $500 (something about mineral deposits eroding at the toilet bowl over time).

Any ideas on additional things I should rule out before splurging on a new toilet?

Thanks!

Sean
$500 Is expensive for new toilet. I pickup a new American standard champion 4 at lowes about 4 months ago. I'm very happy. It has a powerful flush. I bought online for instore pickup think i paid in the 250 range. Its a bad boy. Now other good toilets toto if you can find one and there expensive or the kohler cimmaron. But its 1.28 gallon flush. Champion 4 mine is 1.6

Advertisement

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Irishman Sean (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Toilet - Slow Flush

Did his price include labor to install? You don't expect the guy to work for nothing, Im sure.

You have heard the joke about the plumber and the surgeon, right?

Plumber: "Thanks, heres your bill" Surgeon: "Holy crap, Im a surgeon and I dont make that kind of money per hour" Plumber: "I didnt either when I was a surgeon"

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,670

Toilet - Slow Flush

You plumber used a toilet Auger? That by itself shows nothing on condition of the main drain.

If you flush the toilet several times in a row does water build up in the pipe? Water in the bathtub start coming up?

If not did he pull the toilet and look for a **** compaction. I've had to clean that out on occasion made due to medications one might be taking. When the toilet is flushed does it look lik the rim is feeding water?

Is the water level in your tank up to the water level line.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,342

Toilet - Slow Flush

Did he check for possible vent blockage? Your video shows a very slow draining toilet, there maybe other issues besides scale buildup.

500 dollars; if that includes install, that's not bad. Toilets do buildup scale after awhile can affect the way it flushes.

U can diy and buy new kohler cimamron at lowes for 250, includes everything u need to install. A diy could do this in 45 min or so providing u don't run into any problems with old flange bolts, etc. Only thing is it's only 1.25 gallon flush. Sometimes u may have to flush twice, if u know what I mean. Once u replace those old 3 or 4 gallon flushers, most new ones are water savers. (less than 1.5 gal. per flush)

Last edited by jmon; 03-24-2013 at 08:06 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Toilet - Slow Flush

Yes mine came with everything to install even a wax ring. Just need to buy a braided waterline.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,542

Toilet - Slow Flush

did he check the syphon jet ...its the hole in the front of the toilet this clogs and causes slow flush....cloged vent....did you try puring a bucket of water into it and see if it flushes ok.. ?????ben sr

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slow flush