Toilet ShutOff Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet ShutOff valve

Hi
I am wondering how to install a new shut off valve. The old one is similar to the one shown in the pic below except that it comes fromm the floor. The complicated part is that it only has about 1 inch clearance between the end of the chrome pipe and the floor. Can I just remove the old one buy heating and pulling it up or do i have to cut it? Or can I cut it and maybe put another copper tube with solder and install the new shut off valve. Any help will be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet ShutOff valve-shutoff.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Dany; 03-12-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet ShutOff valve

the one shown is a slide on sleeve meant to slide over your 1/2" copper pipe and then you soldier the end of the sleeve to the copper. if the old one is the same and you only have about an inch to play with. I would turn the main water shut off, off. then drain all the water out of the pipe by opening the cold water supply on a faucet that is located at a lower level then the one your replacing. then try UN sweating the old one, I hope the sleeve on the old one was not installed before the floor was installed. if so then you might have to use a pipe cutter to score the sleeve only and then try to remove it.
A picture of the old one will be more helpfull to see what your dealing with. BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote