Toilet Seat Closer - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet Seat Closer

Guys,

I am trying to come up with a way to avoid putting down the toilet seat (recently moved in with the GF), and to automate the whole process. I found this website that sells a device that does exactly what I need, but its hefty at $55. Does anyone have any ideas on how to recreate this thing and DIY on the cheap?

http://www.loomate.com/

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I know, at some point I will be forced to learn to put the darn thing down, but I will fight as long as I can.

Advertisement

timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,576

Toilet Seat Closer

Easy way. Tell GF to look if seat is up or down when she goes into the bathroom, and put the dang thing down if she want to use the toilet. That way you don't have to remember to put it up.

PS: Starting looking for a new GF if you tell her that.

Advertisement

MTN REMODEL LLC (05-24-2013), RWolff (05-24-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 508

Toilet Seat Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timur View Post
Guys,

I am trying to come up with a way to avoid putting down the toilet seat (recently moved in with the GF), and to automate the whole process. I found this website that sells a device that does exactly what I need, but its hefty at $55. Does anyone have any ideas on how to recreate this thing and DIY on the cheap?

Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I know, at some point I will be forced to learn to put the darn thing down, but I will fight as long as I can.
Are you serious, or just here trolling?

Alright, whatcha gon do is go to the hardwer store n buy yerself one them steel eyelets. Ya know, a screw on one end and a loop on the other. Drill yerself a hole in the floor next to the crap can n thread that thur steel eye inta it. Then, drill ya a hole in the crap-can lid or seat. Hook ya a nice (cheap) bungee cord between that eyelet and seat/lid. You'll have ta hold the seat open when ya peein, but the bungee will pull it back down when yer lazy self is done.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 628

Toilet Seat Closer

Start liking to sit down all the time. This invention is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I would never buy one. I read the reviews and these things are just awful.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Toilet Seat Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timur View Post
Guys,

Thanks!

Are you actually going to let that chick tell you how to use the can after all these years...sheesh..women ..right bro..

Next thing you know she will tell you to stop taking a leak off the back porch
Also. I can't imagine why they even have lids attached to them. I wonder what they are for.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-24-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet Seat Closer

One vote for spammer.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Toilet Seat Closer

Write 'sex' on top of the seat and 'no sex' on the bottom.

Problem solved.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fetzer85 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-24-2013), RWolff (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Toilet Seat Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post

Problem solved.
How Romantic!

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Toilet Seat Closer

I put the seat down....not because of the women in the house...but out of habit.....

We 'used' to have a dog....and he liked to drink out of the toilet....you quickly learn to keep the seat down if you have a dog that drinks out of it...and likes to lick you....especially in the face....

Since I doubt the OP will be back...(I personally think he is a troll...if not, he needs to turn in his man card), for the rest of you...for a cheaper price than the 'product' noted by the op, you can get a slow closing lid....best thing we did in our house...kids love to drop the lids...this one, you just give it a start and it closes slowly on it's own. Real common at the big box stores...maybe $30.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
fetzer85 (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet Seat Closer

You know... no offense intended, but I have to rant on this thing.

I thought about this while cutting the grass earlier, $55 for a freaking battery operated toilet seat closer and shook my head for a couple of reasons-

1)Are we Americans becoming THIS glutonous and lazy that there's people who would throw away $55 for a stupid POS like this thing because we are too LAZY to close a stupid toilet seat lid??

2)That there's a company totally wasting all of the energy, raw materials, transportation, pollution etc to produce a piece of junk like this that no one needs, than in months or a year will break and wind up in the landfills, with the dead batteries too.

So I thought some more on this, about the folks who don't need one of these because they don't HAVE a toilet seat lid that needs to be closed, or a toilet that a lid needs to close because they don't have a house any more after losing their job or going bankrupt due to medical problems.
$55 totally wasted for a stupid gimmick no one needs, while there's families living in their CAR because they no longer have a home!

I thought of all those $55 checks thrown away on frivolous garbage like this while more important things go crying for funds they can't get enough for, like cancer research to find a CURE, like cloning research to grow new organs and tissue.

Having once BEEN homeless literally living in a vehicle parked on the street one very hot summer in the 80s, with my dad in the hospital 3000 miles away, a cousin who had died suddenly, a grandma 3200 miles away who was hit by a car and in the hospital only to die of a blood clot, I couldn't find work, new to the state, I was sitting there rolling a handfull of pennies and change to buy food for the dogs, and having to go and get a freaking food box from a local church to eat... it all makes one look at things like this toilet seat clsoer in a whole different light! $55 back then was the difference between a lot of more important things!

People need to grow up past these frivolous, idiotic gimmicks and focus on more important things.

Last edited by RWolff; 05-24-2013 at 04:33 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (05-24-2013), fetzer85 (05-24-2013), jagans (05-26-2013), VIPlumber (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
JOATMON

Toilet Seat Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
You know... no offense intended, but I have to rant on this thing.

I thought about this while cutting the grass earlier, $55 for a freaking battery operated toilet seat closer and shook my head for a couple of reasons-

1)Are we Americans becoming THIS glutonous and lazy that there's people who would throw away $55 for a stupid POS like this thing because we are too LAZY to close a stupid toilet seat lid??

2)That there's a company totally wasting all of the energy, raw materials, transportation, pollution etc to produce a piece of junk like this that no one needs, than in months or a year will break and wind up in the landfills, with the dead batteries too.

So I thought some more on this, about the folks who don't need one of these because they don't HAVE a toilet seat lid that needs to be closed, or a toilet that a lid needs to close because they don't have a house any more after losing their job or going bankrupt due to medical problems.
$55 totally wasted for a stupid gimmick no one needs, while there's families living in their CAR because they no longer have a home!

I thought of all those $55 checks thrown away on frivolous garbage like this while more important things go crying for funds they can't get enough for, like cancer research to find a CURE, like cloning research to grow new organs and tissue.

People need to grow up past these frivolous, idiotic gimmicks and focus on more important things.
So...wolf....how do you really feel?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
RWolff (05-24-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet Seat Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
So...wolf....how do you really feel?

LOL, that's how I really, really, truly, honestly feel, 100% absolutely without question or hesitation, completely, firmly and with verve

RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
JOATMON

Toilet Seat Closer

Is that your final answer?

RWolff (05-25-2013)
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Toilet Seat Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post

Problem solved.

Write rude on the open lid and thank you on the closed..

I wish this thread had an automatic closer
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Toilet Seat Closer

Gender equality... You put it up... She puts in down.... Tell her it's because you support equality.

Advertisement

Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote