Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Toilet rough-in problem

I have an existing Eljer toilet whereby the hold-down bolts measure 9 inches to the wall board (measured several times) I cannot locate a toilet that has less than a 10 inch rough-in and yet there is the one to which I refer. The serial number is partly obliterated but starts with the numbers 141----The rest of the numbers are a guess G or C Or a number, 1 2 or 6 2..... I tried Eljer on line, not a great website.....Does anyone know if someone is making such a rough-in toilet dimension....if not, does anyone know how to cure my problem of installing a new toilet. The old one is flush against the wall tight enough that the lid will not go down fully on the edge of the tank.........Appreciate any information as I cannot re-do the bathroom until I know I can get a new toilet in the existing space......Thanks...

Rich Wincz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #2

Toilet rough-in problem

Does the website have an 800 number? Normally the bolt locations are 12" to the drywall. You might have to move the toilet drain line (if practical). Or a 3 or 4" drywall recess for the tank (a messy job)

geoffrey hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #3

Toilet rough-in problem

I know they make toilet flange offsets, someone her should be able to point you in the right direction
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #4

Toilet rough-in problem

Toilet rough-ins are 14", 12" (12" is most common), 10" and I have heard of 8" but I have never seen one myself. If you can not make a 10" rough work you might try Toto. They do have a toilet that has an adjustable rough-in capability and Toto is a high quality water closet.

Rege

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #5

Toilet rough-in problem

I just did a quick search for the adjustable Toto and unfortunately the minimum is 10". You might have to bite the bullet and move the flange. It may not be as big a job as you think. Can you elaborate on the existing plumbing?

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #6

Toilet rough-in problem

Chances are you have a 10" roughin toilet. That is why the tank is so close to the wall. Most toilets will work if the roughin in a little less then what is stated. For example; a 12" roughin toilet will work most times, but not always, when the bolts are 11.5" off the wall.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #7

Toilet rough-in problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
Hi Rich, Your best bet is to get an offset flange. These were made specifically for this problem. Go to your local plumbing supply/hardware and tell them what you have and they will show you what you need. The only tricky part is if you have and older house it might be cast iron pipe, newer houses are pvc, a little easier to install where cast iron may be a bit more labor intense. As a plumber and a contractor for over 30 years now I have seen just about everything there is to see. Dont be alarmed though, it can always be done. Hope this helped. GregC
Thanks for the information, I am off to the local plumbing operation this morning......Thanks to the other replies as well....I am having some problems with this forum being the first time used...............hope you get the reply....
Rich Wincz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

Toilet rough-in problem

i would try a 10" ri toilet

rudolph58 is offline   Reply With Quote