Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Toilet rebuilding kit

Some advise on the best rebiuld kits for toilets. I bought a fluidmaster kit and was disappointed with the quality. I bought it from the big box because the supply house was to far...

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Toilet rebuilding kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
Some advise on the best rebiuld kits for toilets. I bought a fluidmaster kit and was disappointed with the quality. I bought it from the big box because the supply house was to far...
The Fluidmaster "PRO45" (formerly known as the 400A) is actually a very good product.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #3

Toilet rebuilding kit

Thanks. I just got off the phone with the supply house and they are saying just go ahead and replace the whole toilet. They will sell me everything, seat ring, line. Elongated bowl. Called a Pelican toilet which I have never heard of. 100 dollars. Or 30 dollars for the rebuild kit. The Gerber Viper is 100 dollars as well. The problem with the toilet I am trying to fix(44 year old American Standard) is that it started filling very slowly for the past two weeks. The fluidmaster in the tank now looks fairly new. The toilet has no shutoff and the gate in the basement is frozen. Can I pull the top off the fliudmaster with the water still on? I am also concerned with the toilet having a 5 gallon tank, and these fluidmasters being set up for smaller sized tanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Special User

Toilet rebuilding kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdrying View Post
The toilet has no shutoff and the gate in the basement is frozen.
Gate valve may be the whole problem here. Could be plugged up with deposits and debris.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #5

Toilet rebuilding kit

I figured I should follow the old saying, if you are going to do a job, do it right, and as efficiently as possible. I shut the water off at the street I cut the gate valve out and sweat a ball valve in. I was going to originally use a sharkbite fitting, but decided to only use it if the valve at the street was leaking. Used a 1/4 turn stop, all bras, real nice. I used a copper supply line up to the tank. I managed to secure the flage where it was solid in the floor, but would of liked to have cut up and retiled the floor. Went with the Gerber Viper toilet. 1.6 gpf. Real power house and nice looking solid toilet. The toilet comes with bolt caps but no bolts, and the wax rings now come with just the ring. No bolts no caps. I paid 105 dollars for the round bowl toilet, I am very happy
Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Special User

Toilet rebuilding kit

Nice job, thanks for the followup!