Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

toilet overflowed-what do I do?

Am having major toilet issues right now! Flushed the toilet this morning and "it" didn't go down. I figured I would let "it" sit there and flush again this evening. Well, stupid me, I didn't bother to lift the seat before I flushed, and apparently the bowl was full and started to overflow. I shut the water off at the water valve behind the toilet (attached to the wall) and proceeded to clean up the mess.

Now I have a toilet that still is clogged and is totally gross. I have a plunger but I'm scared. Do I plunge now, with the water valve still shut off? do I turn it back on and quickly start plunging away? What do I do? Please help! I know it's a stupid question and I should know what to do, but I am not sure. My other toilet did work.

I don't know if it is a coincidence, but we did have a hard freeze in the area a few days ago. I have used that toilet since then without problems, but I am mentioning it anyway just in case. should I call a plumber? Please help if you can.

mande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

plunge away!! if you clear it with the plunger it should go down and gurgle a little. then turn the water back on and test it slowly. I do not think a freeze would cause this.

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

So start plunging with the water valve still shut off? When you say test, do you mean slowly turn the water valve on? (presuming nasty stuff in the bowl is gone, right?) what if it doesn't go down, call a plumber then? sorry for the stupid questions, just trying to get it clear in my head (and in the toilet).
mande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

yeah, leave the water off since the bowl is full. if you get it to go down, open the valve and hold down on the handle and let a little water go through and that will tell you yeah or nay
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to broox For This Useful Post:
mande (02-07-2011)
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,010

Plunging has nothing to do with the water being on or off. The valve is for supply. Plunging is an attempt to unclog the drain.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #6

no other problems with drains???

if it was related to a freeze, then it would probably affect sinks and tubs, etc.. other toilets??

Andrew is right, plunging has nothing to do with whether the water is on or off.

plunge away

rod

rditz is offline   Reply With Quote