Toilet Not Sitting Well.... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Toilet not sitting well....

Hey Guys.

Working on the brother in law's rental unit bathroom. The toilet was currently leaking and upon inspection noticed that the toilet was shimmed up quite a bit, approximately 1/4 - 1/2" in spots. When I pulled the unit I noticed that there was a replacement closet flange (PVC) that had been installed somewhat recently. The problem is that it sticks up quite a bit past the finished floor, causing the toilet to not sit properly.

I removed the old wax ring and tried to dry fit the toilet and noticed that even without the ring it still does not sit flat on the floor, but better than with the ring in place. My question: do they make a toilet with a deeper base to accomodate this? Or would an option be to use 3/4" plywood, trace the base of the toilet and use this almost like an extension of the toilet?

The things you do for family.....

Thanks for everyone's help.

Advertisement

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #2

Depends... How much do you like this Family member?

you can always cut a piece of plywood ad glue and screw it to the floor to lift the toilet a little off the floor and basically create a large washer around the toilet

But in my opinion... If you like them enough to do the work... Why not do it right?

look at the flange and decide if it is inside the pipe or outside. Hopefully it is outside. if it is take an inside pipe cutter and cut the top of the flange off. Install a new Flange that goes inside the pipe. cur the pipe to get proper fit. If it is an inside flange already... I usually cut the top of the flnge off so I can see the top of the pipe... make slices in it and use a chisel... Who am I kidding.. I use a screw driver usually... and chip the flange away. Sand the inside the pipe a little and install the new inside the pipe flange.

To me it is easier to do that that to try to make the plywood edges look acceptable

Advertisement

Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Next Time...New Build

Thanks Doc.

The replacement flange is inside the old cast pipe. The replacement flange that was previously installed looks like the same one that I would have put in...do they make a "low profile" version? Seems like i would get the same result by installing another one. The current flange is flat on the floor, it just sticks up approximately 3/8".

Something I forgot to mention previously was that there one of those metal replacement flanges on top since one side of the PVC flange was broken. (I am guessing to due over tightening in an attempt to level the unit) This adds another 1/8" to the equation, making the entire flangassembly 1/2"above the finished floor.

Do they make deeper base toilets? That could solve this entire issue.

Thanks again.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Do they make deeper base toilets? That could solve this entire issue.
Nope,... Fixin' the flange solves the problem...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #5

nope.. Welcome to working for family... I will probably catch a little crap for this but... It is a DIY forum . Look at the Flange and ask yourself the following question
1- Is it ALL the way in or is it sitting up a little?

If it is sitting up then remove the flange and try to dry fit a new one annd see if putting it all the way in fixes your problem

If it is ALL the way in then take your inside the pipe cutter and cut part of the top of the pipe and the bottom of the flange... remove any burrs and I like to bevel the inside slightly. This will allow the Flange to sit further down in the fitting.

That is what I would do
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Or would an option be to use 3/4" plywood, trace the base of the toilet and use this almost like an extension of the toilet?
There's a youtube video where a plumber uses plaster of paris to level toilets on a sloped floor. If you have to go with the plywood shim option, maybe using plaster of paris would make a nicer looking base.

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
There's a youtube video where a plumber uses plaster of paris to level toilets on a sloped floor. If you have to go with the plywood shim option, maybe using plaster of paris would make a nicer looking base.
RickyBobby,

Further research indicates that cured plaster of paris is not waterproof. So the plumber on youtube that uses it to level toilets might not be using the best material for that purpose. Therefore I withdraw my suggestion that plaster of paris might make a nicer looking base for your toilet.

HRG

Advertisement

Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote