DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Toilet (Mansfield) Ghost Leak

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  BOOTHA06 
#1 ·
I've got a Mansfield toilet that developed a slow leak from the tank, causing it to run/refill as soon as the fill valve float gets low enough. In the process of trying to track it down, I've tried different fill valves, flush valves, reseated the tank and replaced the tank-to-bowl gasket. What am I missing? Where the heck is the water going?

Not sure of the model #, but it's circa 1996 and the tank-to-bowl gasket is the slim kind, not the bigger kind that fits every other brand.

#6 ·
Not really. I took the tank off of the bowl and replaced the bolts and their gaskets. I replaced the water line (not b/c I thought that was involved but I had been switching them all out to more reliable braided stainless steel), the flush valve, the fill valve, and their respective gaskets. No dice.

It may have slowed down after all that, or maybe I'm just conditioned to it now. But at least a couple times a day I'll hear the water running for a few seconds to refill the water level in the tank.

I'm reasonably sure it's not evaporation (even if it is Colorado). Food coloring never shows up in the bowl so it's like it's going directly in to the trapway - which I know makes no sense.

Pretty much have decided the 3 Mansfield toilets I have in my house are history as soon as I get the time and motivation to replace them. They're all pretty much contractor grade junk that came with the house.

#3 ·
Yeah I tried that too. Unfortunately the leak is slow enough that the food coloring just diffuses so you can't see it being sucked in any place in particular.

It's got to be the inter-connect between the flush valve and tank gasket. I just can't figure out how new stuff doesn't plug it. It's like the ceramic on the tank wore out and is preventing a good seal.

#7 ·
Thanks for the update...it sounds like we're in the same boat. I think we have the same solution, too- replace them! The only thing that seems to have slowed mine down a bit is really cranking down the big nut that holds the flush valve on. I figured if I overtightened and it cracked the tank, I'm going to replacing it anyway, so it would just speed up the process.:laughing: Either way, it seems at least a little better than before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.