Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Share |

Toilet leveling

I am about to install the toilet, couple questions:

The tile was installed close to level, the toilet needs 1/8" shim at the rear to level it front to back. When I do this it's rock solid front to back and side to side. The toilet is out of level side to side by 1/8". Is it really necessary to shim the side to a perfect level? I was thinking it would be more stable to have more of the toilet bowl contacting the floor and having it 1/8" out of level than it would be to have it resting on two shim to achieve a perfect level?

Also, I will need two was rings as the flange is about 3/4" below the tile, I planned on placing a thick ring with the plastic flange in in on to the toilet flang and a reg wax ring on the bottom of the bowl and then seating the bowl.

Anything wrong with my execution
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #2

Toilet leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
I am about to install the toilet, couple questions:

The tile was installed close to level, the toilet needs 1/8" shim at the rear to level it front to back. When I do this it's rock solid front to back and side to side. The toilet is out of level side to side by 1/8". Is it really necessary to shim the side to a perfect level? I was thinking it would be more stable to have more of the toilet bowl contacting the floor and having it 1/8" out of level than it would be to have it resting on two shim to achieve a perfect level?

Also, I will need two was rings as the flange is about 3/4" below the tile, I planned on placing a thick ring with the plastic flange in in on to the toilet flang and a reg wax ring on the bottom of the bowl and then seating the bowl.

Anything wrong with my execution
your fine on being out of level...Iam not liking the flange 3/4" below finish floor..your asking for trouble.... is this on 1st or 2nd floor???
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #3

Toilet leveling

It's one the 1st floor. The closet flange is in the concrete. I used two wax ring for the past 10 years when the old tile was there. What other option is there? The plumbers here in soca recommend the same? The only other option is the plastic spacers sandwiched together.
titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #4

Toilet leveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
It's one the 1st floor. The closet flange is in the concrete. I used two wax ring for the past 10 years when the old tile was there. What other option is there? The plumbers here in soca recommend the same? The only other option is the plastic spacers sandwiched together.
You can buy a flange extender. I have one and it works A LOT better than using two wax rings. Shims are somewhat normal. Just make sure you caulk around the base of the toilet and that will settle any movement that is happening now.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #5

Toilet leveling

something like this link just need to get correct size, they also sell toilet shims "little plastic shims" out of level toilet will work
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote