DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Toilet leaking from seat mounting hole

11K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jrpoole59 
#1 ·
So I haven't been able to find anything on this. Here goes...

I have a two piece toilet that started leaking from one of the mounting holes for the toilet seat. It is NOT leaking between the tank and the bowl. I have watched it from above and below (with flashlight in hand), and the water flows out of the mounting hole past the mounting bolt.

There doesn't appear to be any visible, external cracks in the bowl part of the fixture.

I'll repeat to make sure I make my point, there is no water flowing on the outside of the fixture between the tank and the mounting hole either on top of the bowl or any of the underneath surfaces. It really looks like when you flush the toilet, water starts flowing out of the bottom side of one of the seat mounting holes. The top remains dry.

I haven't a clue what to check / replace.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim

#6 ·
Caulk that sticks (as opposed to requiring the sides of the hole or crack to hold it in place) will last a long time, since this is a low water pressure situation.

Reactions: jrpoole59
#3 ·
Alas, the blue food coloring (only thing the wife had left) makes it obvious that it's coming from the right seat hole. I just took the seat off, and can watch the water come out from what looks like a seam in the middle of the hole. Sort of like the top of the bowl piece was laid onto the bottom part of the bowl piece and it didn't seal well.

Gonna try caulking it as a short term fix until I can replace it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Jim

#4 ·
That SOUNDS to me like a void in the china. Voids don't develop over time as far as I know. Sounds like a factory flaw to me, but if you walked up to me on the street and told me this problem, i'd say you were crazy and run the other way.

Video plz.

#5 · (Edited)
I suspect you're right about the void, just from the looks of it. Considering the chea..., er, cost effective construction used in this modular home, I am not surprised.

I've been accused of crazy before. And it didn't involve a toilet leak!:laughing:

Here's a tidbit about this... When I removed the bolts/screws holding the seat on, I thought to myself that the nut portion was installed upside down. Closer examination this evening reveals that they were. They're cheap nylon/plastic and the one for the leaking side appears to have been jammed up in the hole, possibly sealing the leak. This bathroom didn't get a lot of use until recently, so I'm not surprised I didn't notice the leak before.

Too late for video unless it is still leaking tomorrow after the silicone drys. Even if it only holds for a couple of paychecks, I'm a happy camper.

Jim

UPDATE: A thin bead of silicone around the inside of the seat mounting hole has temporarily stopped the leak!

#8 ·
Sorry jr--the silicone will be only a short-term repair, IF you are on a municipal water supply which adds chlorine to the water. The chlorine will react with silicone in the caulking and it will lose it's adhesion. IF you don't want to replace the toilet I would remove the seat, allow the area of the hole for the seat bolt to dry really good, use a dremel or maybe a small file to "V" the crack as best I could and use an epoxy material to fill in the "V'd" area. As stated, this is not pressurized water, just flowing. If you've ever seen a video of how they make toilets, you'd understand. They are cast much like metal or plastic parts with material flowing in from different directions. Your leak is at a "mating point" where the flowing material meets and should have bonded together. It just didn't bond good at that line. David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.