Toilet Leaking From The Base - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet leaking from the base

Total newbie here so reply like Im a 5th grader. New house for me built in '87 and upstairs toilet shows a small trickle sometimes from its base. Removed the toilet entirely and shows rotten sub floor w/ mold thru both layers of thin plywood subfloor.I only pulled a small piece of top ply floor from behind where the toilet was and i can see the second layer of ply also has surface mold so I stoped and came here for advice on what to do next. Please advise and thanks in advance.

Advertisement

pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I will obviously be getting a professional for the remodle of this 10x6 bathroom so Im here looking for an education so I dont get taken advantage of. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

pieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Well first you need to get at least (3) quotes on what needs to be done and have them spell it out on what they are going to do. Then get references on the jobs that they completed and follow up by calling and or going over to inspect their work. Make sure they are insured and they give you a time when the work will be completed.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
Well first you need to get at least (3) quotes on what needs to be done and have them spell it out on what they are going to do. Then get references on the jobs that they completed and follow up by calling and or going over to inspect their work. Make sure they are insured and they give you a time when the work will be completed.
+1
Get everything in writing including that the plumber is licensed and is insured. If you hire a non-licensed plumber and anyone in his crew gets hurt on the job, they can sue you bigtime since you will be considered the employer. Happened to a homeowner who hired roofers to re-roof his home on a weekend. Guy fell off the roof and sued the homeowner and won $297,000.

Also do a web search on the Better Business Bureau for the company.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote