Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

Toilet leak

My tenant is claiming that he was unaware of the bad flapper in his toilet that caused excessive water usage. I calculated that approximately 3,600 gallons a day (is that possible?) was wasted. My question is....Can that amount of water pass through a toilet and not be detectable either audibly or visibly?

Grego1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #2

Toilet leak

3600 gallons a day?

he's either deaf or blind, or both.

Lightfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Toilet leak

3600 gallons per day would be 150 gallons per hour, or 2.5 gallons per minute, which is the equivalent of a shower head at full flow. This is certainly possible if the flapper never dropped, i.e. it hung up, however your tenant would be unable to flush the toilet, and they probably would have noticed that. Of course, if there are several toilets in the apartment, and they never used the one in question, I suppose it is possible they would not have heard the water running.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #4

Toilet leak

If the tenant is young and plays loud music, he would not hear it. This also causes hearing damage, so he might not be able to hear it with the music off.

Also if young, these people tend to be self-centered these days and could care less about anything which does not directly have an impact on them. So perhaps if you raise the rent or make the tenant start paying the water bill, then leaks would immediately be reported?
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #5

Toilet leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego1 View Post
My tenant is claiming that he was unaware of the bad flapper in his toilet that caused excessive water usage. I calculated that approximately 3,600 gallons a day (is that possible?) was wasted. My question is....Can that amount of water pass through a toilet and not be detectable either audibly or visibly?
How did you come up with this calculation? It seems highly over the top. The fill valve would constantly be running if the flapper leaked that much.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:56 PM   #6

Toilet leak

unless you flushed it 2250 times without knowing. you can always pick up a closet "toilet" rebuild kit at your local lowes/home depot.

plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote