Toilet Lead Pipe Replacement. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet lead pipe replacement.

A simple toilet repair turned into a major job. These old homes are a pain in the butt.
My house is 100 yrs old plus and is starting to act like it. A little background, The lead pipe from the toilet to the main stack had leaked for some time. I patched it up over and over. But over the course of time that failed . About 3 weeks ago the pipe just gave way . (first pic)
Didnt even have to cut that sucker out, it pulled right off.

As you can guess the wood under the toilet was rotting out and had to be tossed. But this lead to another project that in no way I was expecting to do.

After removing the lead pipe to the main stack I discovered the the waste pipe from the bathtub to the main stack was also leaking. (2nd pic) . It had cracked at the overflow for the bathtub. Problem is the pipe was under an inch of concrete. And you guessed it, the concrete and the tile floor the was on it had to come out. (3rd pic) 4 days of chipping and removing concrete in very hott weather is not fun.

Becasuse of the heat and my moms health had to put the project on hold for a week. Got back at it last friday when my plywood arrived and I just ruff fitted the floor just so I had a floor to work on.

So looking at the lead pipe that pulled out I it finally dawned on me that I had to recreate the pipe used PVC. After several trip to HD and Lowes they didnt have lead pipe that had feeder holes on the sides.
So I had to get creative and do it . Last pic shows what I had to do.

There you see a 4 inch long sweep lead pipe to the main stack with 2 cut holes in the sides for the feed lines coming from the bathtub (left) and sink (right)
Right now its a dry fit with nothing glued but it looks like it might just work.

Got 3 estimates on this job all over 2000 bucks, so far I have spent under 300 bucks. Hope this was helpfully to anybody that needs a temp solution.

I will have to pay for redoing the lines in the future. But for now this will have to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet lead pipe replacement.-repair-3.jpg   Toilet lead pipe replacement.-p07-11-13_12.50.jpg   Toilet lead pipe replacement.-p07-11-13_12.51-2-.jpg   Toilet lead pipe replacement.-repair-5.jpg   Toilet lead pipe replacement.-planes-toilet-repar-043.jpg  

Toilet lead pipe replacement.-planes-toilet-repar-063.jpg  

Advertisement

blacmonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,752

Not legal in any code book and it should leak really good as soon as you use it. Hire a professional.

You cannot drill holes into plastic fittings then expect it to not leak in your near future. The piping to your bath will have to be brought up to the new plumbing code that is applicable to your area. In short venting will need to be added a plumbing permit and inspection will be required and leak test on the new piping performed. Your dealing with human waste perhaps one of the most infectious material known to man. Be a man and do it right.

Even if you did find a bottom inlet 90 it would be illegal today because feces builds up in it.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 07-28-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-28-2013), gregzoll (07-28-2013), joecaption (07-28-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #3

it is vented, made sure of that, the waste pipe from the tub is connected to a vent line further back which is not in the picture. The vent pipe is in the wall and is connected to the waste pipe and sealed.
But you are right but the cost of the repair is way to much and this is a temp solution not a perm fix.

Last edited by blacmonn; 07-28-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,642

2000 is reasonable considering what the plumber is dealing with in those pictures.

You say it's temporary. Why not fix it properly while its exposed?

What I see happening is you put it all back together, it will leak but you won't know it because its covered up.

Then your toilet clogs because those branch lines are stubbed in way to far- so you auger the toilet, the auger grabs a stub and rips apart your temp work.... Now your back to square 1

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum. Watch out for spell check
Old 07-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 732

All that and I'm still trying to figure out what all those boards are that are nailed to the bottom of the floor joist.
How wide are those joist? It looks like there just 2 X 4's in the picture.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmonn View Post
it is vented, made sure of that, the waste pipe from the tub is connected to a vent line further back which is not in the picture. The vent pipe is in the wall and is connected to the waste pipe and sealed.
But you are right but the cost of the repair is way to much and this is a temp solution not a perm fix.
By todays code your individual fixtures must be vented, All that connects between your toilet and 4 inch stack vent is not vented. Unless your house is in Philadelphia then it is legal.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,628

everyone here trying to help you are being very kind and nice and that is ok ...but the real truth is you need to call a plumber in because you lack the needed knowledge to do any further work because it all wrong ...sorry for being blunt no disrespect intended ..just the truth ...ben sr

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 07-28-2013 at 07:04 PM.
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (07-29-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
By todays code your individual fixtures must be vented, All that connects between your toilet and 4 inch stack vent is not vented. Unless your house is in Philadelphia then it is legal.
the main stack run in the wall

the vent pipe for the toilet is connected to the main stack, i can see the pipe that leads to the air vent going up into the wall, that is how i know it vented.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
everyone here trying to help you are being very kind and nice and that is ok ...but the real truth is you need to call a plumber in because you lack the needed knowledge to to any further work because it all wrong ...sorry for being blunt no disrespect intended ..just the truth ...ben sr
That good advice and i did get 3 estimates, cant afford it right now but i do have to give it a shot.

Advertisement