DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Toilet Keeps Running (

Rod 01-28-2007 06:39 AM

Toilet Keeps Running
Just had my one year walk thru with the builder of my house. One of the items on my punch list was a toilet in the master bedroom which intermittently runs after flushing. The plumber that the builder sent out says that he's not allowed to replace the insides because of code restrictions. He says this is normal for this type of toilet. He said that in every house one toilet functions as a release for water pressure (in some houses this is handled by the water heater?). It looks to me like what he did was to bend the arm of the ball cock float and maybe tighten or loosen a screw on the fill valve. Now it runs after every flush; and I have to lift the tank top off and manually pull the arm of the ball cock float to cut off the flow of water into the discharge tube. Does anyone know what he's talking about on the pressure release/code violation? And, if I have to get an outside plumber, is there any problem with with having him put in a different type of flushing mechanism? Thanks in advance.

Ron The Plumber 01-28-2007 06:44 AM

Have the fillvalve replaced, it will solve the problem.

It's not normal for the toilet to run, that plumber is just lazy and did not want to fix it.

troubleseeker 01-28-2007 03:29 PM

A toilet or water heater that functions as a release for water pressure:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , can't repair a leaking toilet because of code? This guy missed his calling, he should be a damn politician:yes:

Either the flapper is leaking or the water level is set too high and reaching the top of the overflow.

Let me see, if the new latch on the back door doesn't catch in the strike and the door stays open.....that would be a release for excessive heat from the furnace, got it.

Hope he didn't run any gas lines on the job.

Mike Swearingen 01-28-2007 03:48 PM

That plumber is worthless and blowing pure hogwash.
As already stated, replace the toilet fill valve (with a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve...about $6 bucks at a big box).
Just follow the very easy illustrated directions that come with it.
Good Luck!

gitnerdun 01-28-2007 06:11 PM

I agree with the previous posts, however I have seen in the supply houses a ballcock with a built in thermal expansion device. It is possible that he speaks the truth, but I think I would look into it a little bit further.

Rod 01-28-2007 07:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback all. One final note; on the repair sheet the plumber's comments: "Governor 80 county requires type for air pressure release". Is anyone familiar with what that means. (I will follow up with the builder and ask him to get the plumber back again). Thanks.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1