Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Toilet Issue

I have a basic no-frills toilet that has a slow leak at the flapper valve in the tank. I've replaced the rubber flapper 3 times yet I still hear it leaking. This has been ongoing for about 6 years. It's been a low priority since it causes no damage but with the economy as it is I'd rather it didn't leak. I have a well so when water runs so does my electricity. Does anyone have a suggestion that would stop this leak without any great expense? Thanks!

RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

Toilet Issue

I'm no expert, but the first (cheapest) thing I would do is to turn off the water supply, drain the tank, and scrub the area with CLR or something similar. Sometimes, especially with well water you can get a build up in the area that can cause the flapper not to seal well.

Last edited by Blondesense; 04-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Toilet Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense
I'm no expert, but the first (cheapest) thing I would do is to turn off the water supply, drain the tank, and scrub the area with CLR or something similar. Sometimes, especially with well water you can get a build up in the area that can cause the flapper not to seal well.
I've tried that, too. I'm told by the wonderful experienced folks at Lowe's that the only sure cure is to replace the gadget that links the tank to the bowl with another new flapper. I'm trying hard to avoid the mess.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 96

Toilet Issue

http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-produ...epair-kit.html
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #5

Toilet Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
That's interesting. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #6

Toilet Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
I have a basic no-frills toilet that has a slow leak at the flapper valve in the tank. I've replaced the rubber flapper 3 times yet I still hear it leaking. This has been ongoing for about 6 years. It's been a low priority since it causes no damage but with the economy as it is I'd rather it didn't leak. I have a well so when water runs so does my electricity. Does anyone have a suggestion that would stop this leak without any great expense? Thanks!
Are you sure it's the flapper that's leaking?

Another way for water in the tank to leak into the bowl is via the fill tubing that goes from the fill valve to the overflow tube. If the tubing is just placed into the overflow tube and extends below the tank's water level, a siphoning action can happen which will slowly lower the tank's water level causing repeated refills that you can hear.

There should be a clip that clips on to the top of the overflow tube and holds the end of the fill tubing above the overflow tube and directs water into the tube. Verify that this clip is installed and that the end of the fill tubing is above the filled tank's water level.

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

Toilet Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy
Are you sure it's the flapper that's leaking?

Another way for water in the tank to leak into the bowl is via the fill tubing that goes from the fill valve to the overflow tube. If the tubing is just placed into the overflow tube and extends below the tank's water level, a siphoning action can happen which will slowly lower the tank's water level causing repeated refills that you can hear.

There should be a clip that clips on to the top of the overflow tube and holds the end of the fill tubing above the overflow tube and directs water into the tube. Verify that this clip is installed and that the end of the fill tubing is above the filled tank's water level.

HRG
Glad to see someone is thinking. But, no. I know it's the flapper because I stuck my arm into the tank and lightly pressed on the flapper. It stopped leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #8

Toilet Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Glad to see someone is thinking. But, no. I know it's the flapper because I stuck my arm into the tank and lightly pressed on the flapper. It stopped leaking.
Since it's definitely a flapper problem and since it's been going on for 6 years, I would definitely replace the overflow tube and flapper assembly with a new one. The parts are cheap and the job is really easy but the biggest challenge for old toilets is removing the two bolts that hold the tank to the bowl.

If the nuts can't be removed due to corrosion, look between the tank and bowl of your toilet and see if there's enough room to insert a hacksaw blade between them to cut the bolts (do this before you start the job). If yes, then you can do the job. If no, then you will need an angle grinder to grind off the bolt (or replace the toilet ).

You will need a large channel lock plyers to remove and reinstall the large plastic nut that holds the flush valve assembly to the tank. I just buy whatever tool I need to do a job knowing it's still cheaper than hiring a plumber and I'll have the tool forever.

Here's a youtube video that shows how to replace the overflow tube and flush valve assembly:

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #9

Toilet Issue

I found the problem. I took the tank cover off and just stared at the flapper for like 5 minutes. I noticed that the rubber seal underneath it all was sort of star shaped because of being squished. The seat that my flapper rests on is also tapered (angled) for reasons unknown. Well, that taper made the tip of the flapper rest on top of that rubber seal, thus making it leak slightly. I cut away the seal and...presto...no more leak!

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum