Toilet Installation Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

toilet installation help

I am installing a toilet and seem to have a problem I had not anticipted. I understand the basic toilet installation process and have done it before. It is a basic floor mount residential istallation on a concrete basement slab. The issue is the toilet rocks arround on the closet flange and does not sit flush on the floor. There does not seem to be enough clearence betwen the very bottom of the toilet base and the ceiing of the underside cavity. I took some measurements and my old toilet had 3/4" space while new Elgin Titan 4 had about 9/16" space. It seems an industry common spec is 5/8" nominal.

Also, the closet flange is not level. It is higher in the front 1/4"which is probably part of the problem. The closet flange is in good condistion and not rusted out. The house was built 37 years ago. Is this flange removable or should it even be corrected?

Is this a common problem? How should I deal with this? Buy a different toilet? Have a plumber redo the flange? It sems to much of a space for shimming.

Please help. I got this toilet to improve my flush performance. I am tired of having to flush the poop and paper seperatly.

Advertisement

Last edited by beerdog; 04-06-2011 at 01:22 PM.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

toilet installation help

A little more info. I took pictures but can't find my compiuter cable.

-original cast iron flange/pipe. looks to be 1-piece.
-floor is tiled arround the flange.
-Floor is level
-Flange is NOT level. Off by 1/8". Higher in the front.
-Overall, I esitame the front of the flange needs to drop 3/16"-1/4".

Did a little more research. I guess this is a common problem. I will try shimming.

Obviously it would be best to have the toilet sit flush to the floor. Should I contemplate cutting off the flange? I am thinking this may not help since the pipe is not perpendicular to the floor. I

How about grinding down the front of the flange. Would that be acceptable?

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Plumb or Die!

toilet installation help

If you grind off the flange, the sparks will destroy your tiles. I'd try shimming.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #4

toilet installation help

Too late. After reviewing alott on plumbing forums the best professional approach is to reinstall or replace the closet flange so it level. Removed it last night. Will either reinstall the original one or a new one. I picked up a new one, but the ex-plumber at the plumbing supply house said he would reuse the old one since it was very solid and beefier than the new stuff. HE also showed me how the old ones have nice larg lip for packing int he oakum and lead. Have not decided yet. Will post pics eventually once I find my camera cable.