Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

toilet install with 10" rough

Hi,

I need to install a new toilet, so I measure the distance from the anchor bolts to the wall and got 11". So I figure I need a 10" rough toilet.

My question has to do with the 10" toilet, a guy at a plumbing supply store told me that the bowl of the toilet would be the same regardless of a 10, 12, 14 rough, the only difference is in the tank, it will either be thinner (for the 10") or fatter (for the 14").

The toilet was a Vortens, and when I check out the website (http://www.vortens.com/elements/downloads/3208-3464.pdf ) and the specs for the Vienna model, the spec sheet shows the back of the bowl and the tank seem to be as far back, kinda flush. So Im think how is a thinner tank gonna help, as the bowl will end up sticking out abit regardless.

How does a thinner tank and bowl work? Is that drawing wrong, and the bowl is shorter, and the tank would always "overhang it" and a 10" would just overhang less?

Thanks

sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,342

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmfj View Post
Hi,

I need to install a new toilet, so I measure the distance from the anchor bolts to the wall and got 11". So I figure I need a 10" rough toilet.

My question has to do with the 10" toilet, a guy at a plumbing supply store told me that the bowl of the toilet would be the same regardless of a 10, 12, 14 rough, the only difference is in the tank, it will either be thinner (for the 10") or fatter (for the 14").

The toilet was a Vortens, and when I check out the website (http://www.vortens.com/elements/downloads/3208-3464.pdf ) and the specs for the Vienna model, the spec sheet shows the back of the bowl and the tank seem to be as far back, kinda flush. So Im think how is a thinner tank gonna help, as the bowl will end up sticking out abit regardless.

How does a thinner tank and bowl work? Is that drawing wrong, and the bowl is shorter, and the tank would always "overhang it" and a 10" would just overhang less?

Thanks
alot of 10" rough in closets use thinner tanks...that drawing you are looking at is a 12" rough ..look at #to left of chart 10" has a different # which would be a different drawing....10" rough will work for you...ben

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

thanks Ben,

I agree with you, its just when I look at the drawing of the spec sheet, the end of the bowl and tank seem to be flush.

SO im assuming the 10" tank will have less overhang, and that the bowl doesnt extend as far back as the tank, correct assumption?

Are all 10" rough in like this, ie they use a smaller tank?
sbmfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,132

No, all are not done with a thinner tank. On the toilets i put in my house, the position of the tank on the bowl is adjustable. It can be moved toward or away from the wall up to about 2 inches.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-27-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Caroma toilets have an adjustable flange to allow for 10" rough in.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shazapple For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-27-2012)