DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Toilet inlet hose/angle stop problem (

shark974 04-20-2011 11:19 PM

Toilet inlet hose/angle stop problem
Okay I have some kind of old style toilet inlet hose, just a straight metal pipe. I needed to replace the tank innards so I had to deal with it to connect the new stuff in the tank. Best way to get started is with a picture

Now I'm not handy at all, even so, after replacing the fill valve assembly I cant get the inlet pipe to seal at all. It's leaking both top where the pipe connects to the tank and bottom at the angle stop connection (hence towel on floor).

I think that straight metal pipe is old fashioned and going to be hard to ever get sealed, especially seemingly at the tank end, so my inclination rather than keep messing with it, is to replace it with the nice modern flexible hoses which are the only thing hardware stores seem to carry anyway.

But the problem is the angle stop connection doesnt fit these new hoses at all. It's a totally different style of connection. Even though it's a 3/8", they still wont screw onto it because they have like a metal interior pipe in the way, hard to describe but the connections are just different.

So, what can I do? I could replace the angle stop valve with one with a modern connecter, but I REALLY want to avoid this, it seems a sweat connection too, would probably have to call a plumber for that and thats $ I want to avoid.

So like I say, any help? Ideally I want some kind of adapter, or something, that would let me connect a new style hose to that old style connecter on the angle stop. It's threaded and all, seems the right connection would work fine, but Home Depot and Lowes dont seem to carry anything like that...

TheEplumber 04-21-2011 12:25 AM

199 Attachment(s)
Get a 5/8" compression x 3/8" compression angle stop. Cut off the supply pipe as close as you can to the existing valve. You need about 1 1/4" of pipe. Clean up the pipe with some emery clothe and install the new valve per the instructions that should come with it. All thats left is to put on a new 3/8" x 12" braided toilet flex line. turn the water back on and have seat. BTW that chrome tube you have there is not really old fashion. They are very common in commercial buildings

shark974 04-21-2011 01:20 AM

Hmm, thanks for the tip. But from what I was reading the compression fittings arent as good as the sweat ones because over time they're more prone to leak?

Like I said replacing the angle stop is a last resort, but indeed I may have to do that I guess. Getting a hacksaw or anything back there would be tough theres not much room, and I dont have other tools like a dremel (?).

Anyways in the interim I seem to have some new leads, I'm not sure but I learned that type of nut in the pic is called a flare nut. And I found some toilet supply hoses online that are called 3/8" flare to 7/8 ballcock (as opposed to 3/8 compression by 7/8 ballcock), which I'm thinking might actually work directly going by the name, though I'm not convinced and cant tell for sure from pics. Anyways home depots website says the local store has them in stock so I'll check that tmrw, though I didnt see anything that looked like it would fit when I was there earlier...

I also found this which seems to me it may be the adapter I was wanting? Again I'm not 100% sure though...

And if those two options fail I think I may be able to seal the riser now too. Newbie me didnt realize but looking at pictures theres supposed to be a washer that "plugs into" the top of the riser tube...that's where the big leak is, the bottom only had small leak and maybe with some seal tape and more tightening would be fine, I'm guessing with some work I could get the riser sealed up on both ends too, if the other stuff doesnt pan out. So hopefully, I'm on my way. Luckily I have a 2nd bathroom too so I'm not dependent on that toilet while I work on it.

oh'mike 04-21-2011 06:22 AM

You are over thinking this---Have you removed the old fill tube and tried a flex line yet?

There is nothing wrong with a compression fitting on a shut off valve--

Don't cut a copper pipe with a hacksaw---buy a mini-tubing cutter--you need a clean,neat cut.

This may be a job that is beyond your capabilities----consider calling a plumber--Mike---

plumber666 04-21-2011 06:40 AM

12" braided stainless steel water closet supply tube. Period.

burnt03 04-21-2011 07:26 AM

The picture looks like a flare fitting connecting to the angle stop. If so, that would explain why the new braided hose with compression fitting isn't threading on properly.

Either stick with the old pipe/fittings (nothing wrong with them, they've lasted this long right?) or cut off the angle stop, install a new one and use the braided hose instead.

jwedel 01-03-2014 09:56 PM

Pulling this back up. Did the hose with a 3/8" flare fitting work out OK? I recently installed a new toilet, only to find that a 3/8 compression fitting wont fit the hook up on the wall.

TheEplumber 01-03-2014 10:05 PM

199 Attachment(s)
It use to be common to supply toilets with 1/2". Exchange your supply for 1/2" supply and see if that works.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1