Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

Share |

toilet and hot water heater problems

I have two problems that have been a problem for awhile now.

First, when I flush they toilet it will not empty all the way if it hasn't been flushed for more than 5 min or so. If you just flushed it, it will empty completely the second time you flush it. I don't think it's plugged as i did use a snake to see if that would help anything.

Second. Hot water heater, it's gas. The water will slowly get colder unless you use it. So when you get up in the morning if you want more than a few min of a warm shower you have to run the hot water for a few min, then wait for it to get it hot and you will have a hot shower.

Thank you for any help, thanks again.

spokanern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #2

Thermostat/gas valve problem on the water heater. Most likely cheaper to replace whole unit. Mine was doing the same after 33 years of use. Put out awesome hot water at less than norm setting, but would not maintain overnight. Used to do the same thing as you.... wake up, turn on hot water, use the facilities, wash hands, and turn off water. Then would go feed the cats and start the coffee. Returned to take a shower, and had plenty of hot water.
I replaced mine with a tankless, and the wife couldn't be happier!
YMMV...

TJ

TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #3

Yep, that is how it goes. So it would be hard to know if it was one or both unless looked at, and in either case it would be close to the price of a new one? Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

How old is the unit? If around 9 years or older.... time for a new one. Just playing with borrowed time.
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #5

Close to 9 years not over though. Ive thought about a tankless, I like hot showers, does the water get really hot? Ive heard conflicting things on them.

Would still like to figure out the toilet problem if someone has an idea. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #6

quick thing to try on the toilet is to replace the flapper valve. they are prone to failure and are fairly easy to replace. If you raise the lid off the tank- Can you see is the tank is close to emptying when you flush it? If you hold the handle down will it then flush? If the flapper is closing to soon then start there.

When looking into the tank, make sure the tank is filling to the proper level. May just need an adjustment.

How long has this been occuring? Could you have snow or something blocking the vent stack on the roof?

Just some - Off the top of my head, things to try. Good luck and post back.

Regarding the HWH tankless have pros and cons as you have found out. Some love em, some hate em. If you do decide to go with one, make sure to go with a top brand name as price does matter on these. Call and see what local plumbers think. They know the support level of different brands. You will need to have the HX cleaned annually and the cost of repairs is high. I'm still not sold on them in general.

Daltex is offline   Reply With Quote