Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Toilet Help.

The toilet in my front bathroom is having trouble flushing, even when its just liquid. Should I run some kind of Drain-O through it or would it be something with the flusher setup in the tank? Any ideas would help thanks.

Boomer8404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,930

Toilet Help.

Yikes--no chemicals! Never ,ever.

Try this first---dump a bucket of water into the bowl---If that flushes fine---chances are your flapper is defective or the tank wasn't full of water.

If the bucket of water goes down slow or fills the toilet and almost over flows--Clogged toilet or drain--

If you are one to fix this your self--the flapper is easy.

Clogged toilet requires some tools.---Mike---

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Toilet Help.

What he siad, but calcium does build up in siphon jet areas and in the neck of the toilet. CLR(calcuim/lime/rust remover) can help dissolve that.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #4
Pro Hack.

Rewards Points: 25

Toilet Help.

if its slow to drain and has just started, id say there is something blocking it, try a plunger first, if that doesnt help, youll need a "Snake" if that still doesnt work it could be something further down stream.. tree branches can break through piping and cause clogs or a broken drain line could be the problem. A flapper prob would just make the toilet fill slowly or not at all as the tank would drain as it fills, then again if you push the lever to flush and nothing happens then your flapper may not be raising.. so you can look into the tank to see whats doing in there.. .flappers and the like should be replaced every few years anyhow.. if your problem is in the water not flushing away, id first check for obstructions. you can call roto rooter if all else fails.. or one of those guys.
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Toilet Help.

First thing to do is remove the tank lid and see what the water level is. If it is 1/2 to 3/4" below the overflow tube, there is enough water for a full flush. Take a mirror and look under the rim of the bowl to see if the holes are clogged. If they are fine, I think you have a blockage in the toilet trap or the piping under the toilet. Do not use drain cleaners in the toilet.